Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

HP Desktop: p6-2036c

All-In-One Printer: HP Officejet 6500 E710n-z

Windows7 sp1 64bit

Recently I got a router (Cisco Linksys E1200/Wireless-N) so I could use both a wired desktop (HP p6-2036c) and a wireless ASUS notebook at home.  The router connects to a cable modem.  The network was set up by Geek Squad.  All was going well until I discovered I could not scan.  Originally my All-In-One HP Officejet 6500 E710n-z was set up as a Network printer and named HP Officejet 6500 E710n-z (Network)

After the tech left I noticed the screen on the printer said I needed to update it.  I assumed some sort of security update.  I pushed OK.  I guess it loaded the web services and the problems began.  It turns out it is a “web services” printer.  I did not know this.  Never heard of it.

Windows 7 apparently creates a special port for web services printers whether you want web services or not.  I don’t.  But now I have this, I guess it’s called, virtual printer on a WSD port and Windows 7 named it HPE6AD55 (HP Officejet 6500 E710n-z).  On the Properties window under the Details tab it says it is a UMBus Enumerator.

If I select HPE6AD55(HP Officejet 6500 E710n-z) on the WSD port as default, my All-in-One Printer will not scan and I cannot “activate scan to computer” on either computer.  The error message is “Scan to computer not activated. Error launching program. The device was not specified.”

If select HP Officejet 6500 E710n-z (Network) as default, it is located on a port described as “HP network re-discovery port monitor” and I can activate scan to computer and scan with both computers.  But I cannot print from a web page with the desktop wired to the router.  The error message is, “There was an internal error, and Internet Explorer is unable to print this document.” 

My desktop that is wired to the router can only print from a webpage with HPE6AD55(HP Officejet 6500 E710n-z) on the WSD port set as default.  But then I cannot scan with the desktop.

My wireless notebook can print from a webpage with either port but like the desktop can only scan when HP Officejet 6500 E710n-z (Network) on the HP network re-discovery port monitor is set as default. 

Both my wired desktop and my wireless notebook can print a document with either port printer set as default.  But neither can scan with the WSD port printer, HPE6AD55(HP Officejet 6500 E710n-z) set as default.

I tried returning the printer to factory condition but this only eliminated the web services which I don’t want anyway.  The printer is still connected to the WSD web services port if I select HPE6AD55 (HP Officejet 6500 E710n-z) as the default.  It is apparently not possible to delete the web services port once it has been established. 

But if I use the “HP network re-discovery port monitor” port printer as default, then I cannot print from a web page with the desktop computer that is wired to the router.

I need to say clearly I have only one printer.  But Windows 7 has it connected it two ways and it now has two names.  The WSD web services port will not allow it to scan to either computer.  The “HP network re-discovery port monitor” port will allow it to scan to both computers but the desktop wired to the router cannot print from a web page through this port.

At one point Windows Network troubleshooter suggested I make the WSD web services port printer (HPE6AD55 (HP Officejet 6500 E710n-z) the default printer, but then of course I would not be able to scan to either computer.  The scan program cannot find the printer/scanner on the WSD web services port. 

The printer troubleshooter can find no problems.  But I do get Printer Service Event 315 error 2114 every time I start the computer.  It reports: “the spooler failed to share printer HP Officejet 6500 E710n-z (Network) with shared resource name HP Officejet 6500 E710n-z (Network).  Error 2114.  The printer cannot be used by others on the network.”  But the computers both share the printer OK, so I don’t know what this is about and doubt it is relevant.

I tried the HP Print and Scan Doctor.  It offered two printers to check.  One was  HP Officejet 6500 E710n-z (Network) no problems were found for printing or scanning as expected.

The other was HPE6AD55 (HP Officejet 6500 E710n-z) on the WSD port and  it did not even offer to check scanning.  It only could check printing and found no problems.  There was no way to even check scanning on the WSD port if this was the default printer.  Not surprisingly this is the one where scanning does not work.

I would like to have full functionality on some port.  I prefer not to keep changing the default printer depending on what I want to do.

Is there anyone who can figure this out?

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi mpw101,

HP designed a quick and easy tool that diagnoses and resolves many printing, scanning, and connectivity problems: The HP Print and Scan Doctor. HP recommends that you download and install the Print and Scan Doctor any time you need to troubleshoot a problem with your HP printer from the link below.

Let me know what errors you receive?

http://www.hp.com/go/tools

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
HP Recommended

I already used the print and scan doctor before I posted last night.

I  tried the HP Print and Scan Doctor. It offered two printers to check. One was HP Officejet 6500 E710n-z (Network) no problems were found for printing or scanning as expected.  This is the computer name associated with the "HP network re-discovery port monitor" port.  This works fine. I can scan with both computers.  I can prit docs with both computers.  And I can print from a webpage with the wireless lap top.  But if I want to print from a webpage with the wired desktop, I have to switch to the other WSD port printer.

The other printer this tool found was HPE6AD55 (HP Officejet 6500 E710n-z) on the WSD port and it did not even offer to check scanning. It only could check printing and found no problems. There was no way to even check scanning on this printer associated with the  WSD port if it was the default printer. Not surprisingly this is the one where scanning does not work.

No troubleshooter has ever detected a problem.  Not the Windows printer troubleshooter on the control panel and not the HP print and Scan Doctor. Windows Network and Home group trouble shooters find no problems either.  Except I think it was the Home Group Trouble shooter suggested I make HPE6AD55 (HP Officejet 6500 E710n-z) the default printer.  I do not want to do that because then I won't be able to scan.

Thanks for your help.

HP Recommended

Hi mpw101,

To better understand the WSD port you will want to review Message 4 on the following post below.

WSD port for Printers

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

In the Properties Window for each Printer, under the Ports tab only two printer names:

HP Officejet 6500 E710n-z (Network) Port name: C(serial number)W  Port Description: HP network re-discovery port monitor

HPE6AD55 (HP Officejet 6500 E710n-z)  Port name:  WSD-(long alphanumeric name)  Port Description:  WSD Port

There is another Properties window that has less tabs (General, Hardware and Web services) This properties window says both of the above printers have IP address the same as the printer.  But it is a web page: http:/IP address/.

I understand these are monitors not ports.  But that is all there is.  There is no printer associated with a standard TCP/IP port listed.  The printer has an IP address per the screen on the printer, but it is not listed in the list of ports.  There is one listed for File not associated with any printer name.  There is a PDFC Port for PDF Complete and an XPSPort for Microsoft XPS Document Writer.  There is a FAX port listed.  HP Officejet 6500 E710n-z (Network) is associated with the HP network rediscovery port monitor for printer and the HP network rediscovery port monitor for FAX.

I tried to add a printer using the IP address of the printer and the already installed drivers using the add a printer wizard on the Control Panel>Devices and Printers.  It does not scan.  It did print a test page and it did print a web page.

There is also a problem that I do not have a static IP address.  The printer gets a new address when I turn it off and on.  I removed the new printer as it did not seem to accomplish anything.

I’m sorry to keep calling monitors ports but that is how they are listed in the Properties window under the Ports Tab.

HP Recommended

Hi mpw101,

Please call our technical support at 800-474-6836. With your approval the agent on the phone can access your computer and straighten out the issues with the ports. If you live outside the US/Canada Region please click the link below to get the support number for your region.

http://www.hp.com/cgi-bin/hpsupport/index.pl

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

Sorry, my error.  There is a Standard TCP/IP port listed and it is the same as the IP address on the small screen on the printer.  It is just an IP Address, no printer name associated with it.  But it is probably where the monitors pick up the printer.  It popped up in the Properties window after a restart.

I have discovered that when I want to print from a web page, if I click Print Preview first and then click print, a Print window opens and offers every printer there is to choose from.  I don’t have to change the default; I just pick the printer that I know works for the desktop to print from the webpage.

All other functions are handled by the default printer for both computers.  I think I will leave well enough alone.

Thanks for trying to help.  I appreciate your time.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.