Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Scanjet G4050
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

My Scanjet is a few years old and hasn't been used in a while. My husband unknowingly threw out the software CDs. I have downloaded the software from the HP website numerous times, each with one type of error. At first, after 3 download attempts I was getting an error message that the driver was not available. After the 4th attempt, and following the instructions to the letter, all appeared to be okay. 

Then while attempting several times to scan a couple of negatives, I kept getting an error message that indicated I should try to download the software again, which I did (5th time). All to no avail. This is the message I keep getting.....

"A required software component was not found or was improperly installed. Reinstall the HP Photosmart software that came with the device and try scanning again." At the bottom of the error notation there is  "Etended error information" which says    8, [ (4, -2146959355, 0) ] . I am at a loss as to what to do or where to go. :womansad:

Thank you for any help anyone can offer.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi

Perhaps start small?

HP Scanjet G4050 Photo Scanner Basic Feature Driver

14.5.11.8 MBJul 16, 2015Download

then go large?

HP Scanjet G4050 Photo Scanner Full Feature Software and Driver

14.5.1109.5 MBSep 9, 2015Download

OR

HP Print and Scan Doctor for Windows

4.97.1 MBMar 24, 2016Download

What was the original Operating System?  Has it been changed or updated?

HP Recommended

Dear CF4:

I responded when I first received your message but am assuming you did not receive it?

I indicated that I had followed your suggestions but still receive the same error message. I do not recall what the original Operating System was but had downloaded Windows 10 when it was avaialble.

I am beginning to believe that perhaps there is no obvious solution to my problem and maybe I should consider purchasing another flat scanner. Recently a relative told me she had purchased an amazing scanner but it is a Canon and my prefernece is, and always will be, HP.

Thank you for your assistance and take care.

Gale Fielding

HP Recommended

**bleep** You ALL hp Management

Why not tackle this problem! What kind of accountability is this? What kind of support is this ?!
I Hate You For Ever

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.