Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have a copy of a backup I made for my officejet pro 8600.  But the utility would only let be back it up as a passcode encrypted file, usrdata.enc.  Is there any way to decrypt the backup file with the passcode into a human readable format?

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi siebernet.

To answer you question, I would suggest that you use the software that you used to create the back up to read the file. HP does not provide the software to even create a back up for the printers.

Sorry for the inconvenience on this issue.

Thanks for your time.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

W a t e r b o y 71
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Thank you for the reply.

The software used was the printer itself.  I logged into the printer via web interface and created the backup that way.

HP Recommended

Ok. I have done some looking into this issue for you in great detail and I have found a path for you to take. If you go into the Embedded web server and then select the Tools Tab, go to Restore and enter your password that you created, select Browse to Locate and then Back up file.

You can save your settings onto a Thumb drive if need be.  I hope this is what you are looking for. If you require more assistance, please feel free to write back.

Thank you.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

W a t e r b o y 71
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Thanks, but that isn't really what i am looking for.  I want to be able to see the settings.  Or even a way to back up the settings unencrypted would be fine, but it would not let me use a blank password.

I am looking for a specific way my father has his set up so i can kind of emulate the same setup on my printer.

HP Recommended

Hi again. I do apologize for the inconvenience on this issue. I would strongly suggest that you contact HP Total Care on this issue. An HP Total care rep will have more resources to use on this type of issue. Please call 1-800-474-6836 or if you are out side North America, please click on the following link to Contact HP Worldwide.

Thank you for your time.

W a t e r b o y 71
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Did you ever end up finding a solution to this? 

I'm NOT reffering to a typical user solution straight out of the Manual either. 

My best guess is the the printer's embedded Linux runs a script that compresses certain files into an acrhive, and then encodes/encrypts them using somesort of algorithm, with the provided password as the key. I cannot for the life of me figure out how HP has actually implimented this, but this is my best guess.

I've gone into the embedded webserver and exported my settings with a password of "  1 "  without quotes or spaces, and it gives me a file called "usrdata.enc".

Below is a screenshot of the begining/header of the file.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Can you send me your file?

I have one device with failet touch and I can't make it working after cold restart.

I want to load backup file froom other device.

BR

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.