Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Just updated to Windows 10 v.1607, the hp deskjet 990c drivers no  longer work for the HP 6122 printer.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks

HP Recommended

Used the 990c driver in windows 7...and for a while in windows 10. Recent upgrade of Windows 10 (sept 28, 2016) made the 990c not functional. I do not have the option of "PCL3 Class" driver in the pull down... do have "PCL3s Class" which does NOT work. HP has a responsibility to keep my printer working...they have failed the software part after building a very reliable printer. Still hunting for a solution.

HP Recommended

The Win 10 Anniversary update trashes all your installed printer(s). Uninstall and reinstall

your printer(s). You can use the existing drivers and everything will go back to working

just fine. (I did this with 3 printers including my 6122.) Good luck.

HP Recommended

Thank You Ark 14616

I actually tried that [several times] before I posted, for some reason it would not work for me.

After I saw your post I tried again, and again for some reason it did work ?

Thanks for the info

HP Recommended

Lost about 2.5 hours on this glitch. MS is to blame, not HP. The 'update' MS installed reset things, but I did not realize they CHANGED my printer port to an old default Serial Port. I was assuming the problem was the driver (as it had been in the past). Once I realized the USB Port Setting had been changed, and changed it back (so my 6122 could get it's info thru it's USB wire) I was in business. 

The 990c driver is back in place, and my lovely old HP printer is running again. 

HP Recommended

Could you please share with us how did you perform this configuration? I mean, how to go back the original USB Port Setting.

HP Recommended

I may sound like an expert on this topic - that's only because I spent HOURS figuring it out. 

--

To get your 6122 running on a USB port:

♦ Go to Control Panel

♦ Select "Devices & Printers"

♦ Select "Add a Printer"

▬ Let the search run out - about a minute - it should find nothing.

♦ Click on "Printer I want isn't listed"

♦ Select "Add a local or network printer with manual settings"

♥ Next screen = selection of printer port !!

"LPT1" is the designation of a serial port - the default setting (an old idea)

♦ Pull down menu ... search near the bottom for "USB001 Virtual Port for USB" -- select that

HP Recommended

Hi Bob, can you please send the troubleshooting steps again? The link is not opening. Thanks.

HP Recommended

@nobrelucas wrote:

Hi Bob, can you please send the troubleshooting steps again? The link is not opening. Thanks.

The printer is now old enough that HP has removed the support information, although the driver is still available.  You can connect the Deskjet 6122 as follows:

• Connect the USB cable to the Deskjet 6122 and plug this into the computer.  Use a USB 2.0 connection if possible, USB 3.0 ports may not be compatible.
  • See the post by @RanWiz above.  The USB port may be other than USB001 - look for the highest USB00n numbered port and select that.
  • Now select Windows Update.  After the list populates look for the HP Deskjet 990c, Next.dj 990 dr 2.png

Once the driver is installed you may need to enable the duplexer.  Right click on the Deskjet 990c, select Printer Properties and enable the duplexer.

dj 990 duplex.png

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

I failed to set HP Desktop 6122 on Win 10 computer after selecting the printer with the HP Desktop PCL3 class driver. Then, I search the HP Desktop PLC3 classic driver for free download. I get the web site for download.

http://ec.ccm2.net/es.kioskea.net/download/files/HPUPD50PCL532.exe

After running the HPUPD50PCL532.exe, set the HP Desktop 6122 from CD by selecting the HP Desktop PCL3 classic driver. Finally, the printer settings are successfully completed. 

Note: the USB port of Win 10 computer must  be 2.0 instead of 3.0. 

Hoping my information could be useful to you.

Luck to you.

@Noddy100 wrote:

I had no luck until I chose the PCL3 Class Driver2 and set the port as the USB001 then it worked.  Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.