Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi, I have same problem - moved to new house, new wireless network, new router - blinking blue light, macbook cannot find printer.  

I have tried to follow the instructions on the document link but at step 5 of the OSX 10.7 instructions where it says "Select your product from the list of Bonjour devices, and then click Add"  I cannot find my printer listed.  I think this is because the printer is not connected to the wireless network, hence the blue light flashing and a feeling that we are getting into a circular argument.

In trying to connect the printer to the wireless network I have followed instruction from http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01859574.pdf.  

My router does not have a WPS button so, as instructed, I have run wireless diagnostics by holding the scan button for 2 seconds and have obtained a WPS PIN, but what to do with this?  On page 6 instruction C part ii says "Enter the PIN on a computer for the router".  What does this mean? Enter it where on the computer for the router?!

I have tried calling HP support but simply been directed to the hp.co.uk/diagnostics website, which brings me back to these same two documents and no further progress.

Please help, thanks, Graham

HP Recommended

Hi Graham,

The Deskjet F4580 doesn't have a wireless setup wizard in the printers control panel. What you will need to do is setup the printer using the USBSOW - USB Setup of wireless option to get the printer connected to your network. Please follow the steps below, and also the video on USBSOW.

Note: Depending on your installation method, you might need to connect a USB cable to the product and the computer. HP recommends using a USB cable that is less than 3 m (10 ft) long.

Installing the Printer Software on a Wireless Network - Mac OS X 10.7

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
HP Recommended

Hi, 

Thanks for trying but no success yet I'm afraid.  I have reinstalled software from the software disk that came with the printer but when it reaches the 'configure your wireless connection' step the software quits unexpectedly (I can send you the detail report if you like).  I have tried this several times now and the software quits at the same point everytime.  

I am using OSX 10.9 Maverick and have seen on http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04510394 that there is no software additional software for 10.8 Mountain Lion with, I assume, same for 10.9 Maverick.  This leaves me in same position as earlier today since my software CD quits unexpectedly and there is no other software available.  Because of this, there is no stage in the install process where I can tell the computer/printer the wireless network details. 

Thanks for trying so far, do you have any suggestions what to try next please?

Graham

HP Recommended

Hi Graham,

If you have another computer or can use a friend or relatives computer to do the USB setup of wireless this will get the printer on your network. Once you have the printer connected to your network it is just a matter of getting it added to the print queue on 10.9. Refer to the document below.

An 'Unsupported Operating System' or 'Software not compatible' Message Displays on a Mac Running OS ...

Install the software using Apple Software Update

1. Click the Apple menu, and then click Software Update . Software Update checks for available updates and updates the database that your computer uses to determine available printer software.
  2. Click Show Details , select any available software updates, and then click Install.
    NOTE: Install all available software updates for best printer performance and functionality.
  3. Turn on the printer, and then make sure that it has paper in the tray and that it is in a ready state.
  4. Make sure that the printer is connected to the wired or wireless network, or is connected to the USB port of a Time Capsule or AirPort Base Station.
  5. Click the Apple menu, and then click System Preferences .
  6. Click Print & Scan , and then click the plus sign  in the lower left corner of the window.
  7. Under Nearby Printers, click the name of your printer.
    NOTE:If your printer is not listed, click Add Printer or Scanner for a full list of printers.
  8. Under Name, click the name of your printer.
    NOTE:Make sure that the printer kind is Bonjour or Bonjour Multifunction .
  9. Click the Use box, and then select the name of your printer in the pop-up menu.
  10. Click Add to add the printer to the queue.
  11. If you are prompted to install any additional software for your printer, click Install , and then follow the instructions to complete the installation.

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

Thats got it, problem solved!  Many thanks, and thanks for your patience too.

Graham

HP Recommended

Hi Graham,

I am glad to hear the issue has been resolved. Have a wonderful day.

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

Hello,

I am having a big issue with OSX Mavericks & my HP Deskjet F4580, for which, there seems to be no software available for this specific model (only Gutenprint V5.X.X.X) when asked on the "Use" to add the printer.

I am not trying  to set it up through a router, but just as part of a stand alone network, as working flawlessly in OSX Leopard.

Moreover, the Apple Update did not work, as no software update showed up, even after uninstalling all HP software.

Please kindly check & help,

OC

HP Recommended

I have just changed my router to high speed and my HP deskjet F4580 is not conecting as the blue light on the printer and airport express is blinking all the time. I cant load the CD in as my new Apple notebook pro does not have CD drive

HP Recommended

I have just changed my router to high speed and my HP desk jet F4580 is not conecting as the blue light on the printer and airport express is blinking all the time.I cant load the cd in as my new mac book pro does not have a cd slot

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.