Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I HAVE JUST PURCHASED A HP OFFICEJET 6700 (LESS THAN 1 WEEK OLD), THE MESSAGE PROBLEM WITH PRINTER OR INK SYSTEM, TURN PRINTER OFF THEN ON IF PROBLEM PERSISTS CONTACT HP. IS DISPLAYED ON THE PRINTER SCREEN. I HAVE DONE EVERYTHING SUGGESTED, PLUS MORE BUT THIS MESSAGE WONT CLEAR.  ALL THE PRINTER DIAGNOSTICS SAY THE PRINTER IS FINE.  THE OPERATING SYSTEM IS WINDOWS 7.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

JohnB,
Your article does a rudimentary troubleshooting walkthrough, ending in the question of whether the printhead is serviceable. Since it's not on the 6700, the article doesn't really address the problem.

Here is the solution I found to this problem:
I discovered that removing all the print cartridges allows the printer to start up (although there is a message indicating missing print cartridges).
Putting the cartridges back in a binary regression revealed that one of the print cartridges was bad. (In my case, I only got the printer/ink failure message when the yellow cartridge was in the printer).
Replacing the cartridge restored the printer to functionality.
That's the good news.
Now the bad news: for HP.
The error message generically indicates a failure either with the printer or the ink system. No differentiation. With electronics in the cartridges (which the customer pays a high price for), you would think HP could figure out how to indicate a cartridge problem. This error message is not only useless, but misleading. The printer only suggests a power reset, and then contacting HP. There is NO indication that it could be a cartridge problem, let alone which cartridge has failed. By the way, my client encountered this problem when replacing the color cartridges. So the failed cartridge was a new replacement.
All the web enabled features, faxing, scanning, printing features included with this printer are not very useful if the user can't get the dang thing to print.
Another problem with this printer, is that even when printing only in B&W, the printer uses some color (to ostensibly make the blacks bolder). So, eventually a color cartridge is going to go low or empty, even if printing only B&W. And guess what, you can't continue printing in B&W if one of the color cartridges are out of ink. So, HP....how is this printer useful in an office environment, where most printing tends to be B&W?

(I should add; the cartridge solution to the printer/ink failure message may not fix your issue if, in fact, there is some printer failure. But if the problem is in the ink system, then the cartridge troubleshooting may help).
I've posted similar comments on Amazon, for this printer, under the subject line: Shame on you, HP.

View solution in original post

27 REPLIES 27
HP Recommended

Hi Dan64

By diagnostics you mean? HP print and scan doctor This tool Diagnoses and resolves many printing, scanning, and connectivity problems. Try if you haven't. if you  have, let me know, I will do my best to help you.

I can share some other steps but It have to be outside of the main forum if you agree not to share them. let me know i will PM you if you agree.

Regards;

RobertoR

You can say THANKS by clicking the KUDOS STAR. If my suggestion resolves your issue Mark as a "SOLUTION" this way others can benefit Thanks in Advance! :OpenSmile:
HP Recommended

I have had the same problem with my HP Officejet 6700 Premium printer.  The printer is brand new.  It does not give me an error code, it simply says as follows:

Printer Failure

There is a problem with the printer or ink system.  Turn printer off, then on.  If problem persists, contact HP.

I ran the HP Print and Scan doctor that you recommended, and it said that everything was working properly on the printer.  I selected the option to print a test page, and then the diagnostic program says "Printer Failure." I wonder how it did not detect the problem in the first place...

Where do I go from here?

HP Recommended

tier1tribe Sorry to learn that you are having this issue.

Share what Operating system do you have? i.e. Windows 7 sp1 32 bits or 32 bits.

Ok let's do a power reset to see if this clear the issue

Perform a power reset of the product

Press the power button ( ) to turn off the product.
Disconnect the power cord from the back of the product.
Disconnect the power cord from the electrical outlet.
Wait 30 seconds.
Connect the power cord to the electrical outlet.
Connect the power cord to the back of the product.
Press the power button ( ) to turn on the product.

Let me know the results and the operating system,  I will do my best to help you.

looking forward to assist you;

RobertoR

▼ 

You can say THANKS by clicking the KUDOS STAR. If my suggestion resolves your issue Mark as a "SOLUTION" this way others can benefit Thanks in Advance! :OpenSmile:
HP Recommended

I'm having the same problem with HP officejet 6700. I've performed a power reset as you suggested in the previous post but that doesn't help. I bought this printer only a few weeks ago, not even a month ago. Is it broken?

HP Recommended

I am having the same problem and the power reset did no good.  How do I fix this problem?  Like the others, this printer is only a few weeks old.  I have also run te HP Update utitlity but it says that everthing is up to date.

HP Recommended

I purchased my printer 1 week ago, getting this same message.  I have tried turning on/off, unplugging, unistalling/reinstalling the software...nothing is making this work again.   What else can I do?  I am set to return this and go with something else....

HP Recommended

I end up calling them. They sent me a new printer and I sent the old one back. That's probably the only way to solve it.

HP Recommended

Same problem purchaed in April now its done. Same message PRINTER FAILURE contact HP sounds like they have a problem with this printer. I really need my printers to be dependable I figured when I bought this one I was good for a few years. I'll have to go a week before I get the replacement hope it works and I dont have the same problem.

HP Recommended
natsfan42,

This article should help resolve the error you are getting:
http://goo.gl/sbOF2

Give the steps a try and let us know if it helps.

Best of Luck!

You can say thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in my post. If my post resolves your problem, please mark it as Accepted Solution so others can benefit too.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.