Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 7740
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Just tried to fax from our computer to our new HP OfficeJet Pro 7740. No matter how we do this, directly through “Print Assistant” or from an application, we always get a “busy error” and endless “processing.” Faxing works just fine directly from the machine but doesn’t appear to work from the computer. Is there any way of fixing this?

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@jedpaquette

Welcome to the HP Forums 🙂

I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers.

As I understand the fax from your computer gets "busy error" and get stuck while “processing”,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate solution I need a few more details:

Did you check with an alternate ethernet adapter?

have you reinstalled the drivers for your printer (full feature software)?

In the meantime, Please try the below steps:

1. Turn the printer on, if it is not already on.

2. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.

3. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.

4. Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

5. Wait at least 60 seconds.

6. Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.

NOTE:

HP recommends connecting the printer power cord directly to the wall outlet.

7. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.

8. Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.

The printer might go through a warm-up period. The printer lights might flash, and the carriage might move.

9. Wait until the warm-up period finishes and your printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

Depending on your printer, a fax error code might display on the printer control panel or on a fax history report.

Click here to find more details.

Keep me posted,

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day!

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have not checked a different ethernet adapter but I assume that it is working okay since printing and scanning functions work fine from our computer.

Yes, I did download and reinstall the most recent version of your drivers and software.

Unplugging the printer for 60 seconds as you suggest does in fact restore fax communication between the computer and printer — for that, much thanks! Of course, it appears that if I cancel a fax, the problem returns and I have to unplug the printer again. That I can live with.

Another issue is that the saving of incoming faxes to the computer appears not to work. I have gone through reconfiguring through the Digital Fax Setup Wizard several times and I’m quite sure that I have everything right but whether I ask for files to be saved as TIFF or PDF, they simply do not appear in the folder I have designated in the Wizard. Why might that be?

HP Recommended

Actually, more precisely, what I think is happening is that any time a fax fails to be sent I have to pull the plug to reset. This behaviour relates to another thing I’ve been wondering about — there seems to be no way to set a number of retries for a fax that fails.

HP Recommended

@jedpaquette

Thank you for the update,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

Below are a few steps that should help if fax fails intermittently:

1. upgrade firmware from HP.com
  2. Run Fax Diagnostic Test
  3. Check if any Line static
  4. Try B/w fax instead of Color Fax
  5. Make sure phone cable does not coil
  6. Does the phone line have call waiting facility
  7. Is the # you are using in the Fax Block list – Some models support
  8. Change ECM settings
  9. Lower Fax speed

Please follow the below steps to disable ECM and enable auto redial if an error occurs:

1. On the printer control panel, press the Setup button ().

2. Use the Right Arrow key () to select Advanced Fax Setup , and then press the OK button ().

3. Use the Right Arrow key () to select ECM, and then press the OK button ().

4. Use the Right Arrow key () to select On, and then press the OK button ().

Let me know how that pans out, 

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for these very promising-looking clues. I don’t, however, see a tool symbol on the printer control panel display.

HP Recommended

@jedpaquette

I went through the details and it seems to your printer model doesn't have an option to reset a number of retries for a fax that fails,

As it's automatically defined by the printer systematics,

For details about your printer control panel and menu guide: Click here

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day!

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hmm — okay maybe I’m making some progress now thanks to your help — I discovered that the only way into the advanced fax settings on this model is through the web browser Printer Homepage. I’ve lowered the speed to 9600 baud — perhaps that will help until I can convince my VoIP provider that THEY have a problem with transfer speed on the VoIP server we use (really erratic ping reply times!).  Thanks for the help!

HP Recommended

@jedpaquette

I'm glad you found the solution you were looking for.

That said, keep us posted if you need any other assistance from HP.

Thanks for taking the time to let the community know about the solution

You've been great to work with and it has been a genuine pleasure interacting with you.

I hope both you and your product works great and remain healthy for a long time 😉

To simply say thanks for my efforts to assist you, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos.

And accept this as the solution to help others find your post helpful.

Take care now and do have a fabulous week ahead. 🙂

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.