Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
MFP M277DW
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi there,

I have the MFP M277DW using the CLJM277 Scan Driver. The files that i scan (Black/White) are too large!

3 pages for 3mbs. How do i reduce the size but not the resolution

Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
You can try a different file format when saving the files.

What resolution are you scanning in?

If my post resolves your issue please click the accepted as solution button under it.

To thank a Tech for a post click the thumbs up button under the post.

You can even click both buttons. . .

If my post resolves your issue please click the accepted as solution button under it.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended
You can try a different file format when saving the files.

What resolution are you scanning in?

HP Recommended

I just bought a MFP M277.  I can scan a simple page of black text at 300 dpi and it will generate a file of between 600K and 900K in size.  If I scan the identical page in an HP OfficeJet Pro 8600 Plus, also at 300 dpi, it will generate a file of between 40 and 50K.  I have spent several hours trying to various configurations to get the file size from the M277 down to 40 or 50 K, but cannot even come close.  Please tell me how to get the file size down or I will have to return the printer, which I otherwise think is great and would like to keep.  Thank you.

Jack97

HP Recommended

@Jack97

Welcome to the HP Forums 🙂

I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers.

As I understand the File size is too large for scanned docs,

I'll be glad to help you, however, to clarify and confirm before we begin:

Have you attempted the suggestions from the same thread as it seems to have helped others?

What is your printers product number and which OS are you using it with?

When was the last time it worked? did you install any firmware updates before the issue began?

If it's taking up a lot of your storage, perhaps you can convert them into a *.PDF format to save your space.

Click here for alternative options to save into a flash/memory card instead.

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day!

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

RD,  thank you for your response.  You asked if I attempted other solutions suggested, but all I saw suggested was try another format.  That is very vague.  If that means PDF, yes, that is the format I use.  If it means particulars like color mode, exposure, background filter, etc, I have tried all those and combinations thereof.  If it means something else, please tell me.

Product number: Color Laser Jet Pro MFP M277c6

Last time it worked:  just purchased last week, has never worked properly

No firmware updates since it is brand new.  If you think I should do that, tell me how.

OIne thing I noticed is no matter what format I use, from 1 bit B&W to 24 bit color, all file sizes are about the same.  That suggests that all are 24 bit color, but maybe just displaying differently depending on how set up.  One time for curiosity, I put nothing on the flat bed, so it was totally white and nothing to scan, and it generated a scan for one page of 141 KB!  Something is wrong!

This should not be so complicated.  Thanks for any further help.

Jack97

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply, 141k is a small size for a scanned document or a blank page as it is an image that the scanner captures. Recommend you to contact our phone support for further assistance as they can take a remote of your computer and check the settings and help you reduce the size further.

If the information I've provided was helpful,

Please give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accepted Solution" and "Kudos" buttons,

That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Good Luck.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

No one including this rep or one I spoke with on phone today for 2 hours could figure out the problem - why scanned B&W text documents are so large, typically over 700k per page of text.  Now after 10 VERY FRUSTRATING hours of my own time fiddling with it, I finally concluded there is a BUG in the HP scanning software!!!  No kidding!  No matter whether I set the software to scan a B&W text document at 24 bit color, 8 bit gray, or 1 bit B&W, it ALWAYS scans in 24 bit color.  So I got some free third party scanning software off the Internet and now it scans 1 bit B&W at less than 50k and works great.  I hope HP fixes this bug.  Now to make up for a lot of lost time ...

HP Recommended

Hi Jack97

Hope you can assit!  Which third party software did you use?
I just bought an HP OfficeJet and scanned files are way to big compared to our Office HP that scans as norman.

Regards

HP Recommended

Scanning issues…  HP Scan allows Black and White 1bit scans.

Please try this scan solution:

HP Scan Extended

For Windows:   ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/scanners/HPScanExt/HPScanExt.msi

Once it's downloaded and installed, go to Start > All Programs > HP > HP Scan Extended > Run "HP Scan Extended"

Make searchable PDFs w/OCR scans with this free scanning software - https://www.naps2.com/

Let us know.

HP Recommended

NOT SOLVED!!!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.