Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello Rich, thanks for your help.

So, set to a static ip, no probs doing that, thanks for the advice.

Turned my main SSID passwords off so its an open network and the printer connects fine, static blue light and i can access the printer via wireless.

But obviously i dont want an open network. So i tried WEP - to no avail and then tried a second guest network (SSID2) thats not broadcast and has no password but that doesnt work either.

On SSID2 i get a static blue light as if its connected but i cannot access the printer.

Should i try WEP again?

HP Recommended

You may be able to contact your ISP or router company to open the printer ports.  Perhaps even DMZ the IP address of the printer in case it is something in that part of the router blocking it.  I know some internet service providers will do that for free.  If you are skilled enough to do port forwarding, here is a list of the most up-to-date ports that I know of:

• Incoming (UDP) ports: 137, 138, 161, 427

• Outgoing (TCP) ports: 137, 139, 427, 9100, 9220, 9500

Also, check that the firmware of the router is up-to-date as well.  HP printers like Channel 11 the most.  I hope this helps!

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" if I helped solve your problem.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.

Every problem has a solution!
HP Recommended

Several important things to note here:

1. Instead of trying to force the HP 1022NW printer to connect to modern wireless networks (because it simply won't), the easiest solution (outside of throwing away the printer) is to simply use its built-in Ethernet connection to connect to a WiFi bridge or router. I use the $99 Apple Airport Express in my office. The Airport Express is wirelessly connected to my main WiFi network (which is controlled by a Airport Extreme in the other room), and the Airport Express sits right next to my HP 1022NW printer. I then plug a very short Ethernet cable from my HP 1022NW printer to my Airport Express, and voila! Instant wireless printing! I can even use AirPrint (from my iOS devices) to print to my HP 1022NW printer by installing Printopia on my Mac. It's the perfect wireless solution for the HP 1022NW.

2. For those people who can't reliably extend their WiFi network to accommodate this sort of setup (because their office is too large), I would highly recommend purchasing NetGear PowerLine. This lets you extend your existing Ethernet network using nothing more than the electricity outlets on your wall, and it works 100% perfectly! So you can simply run an Ethernet cable from the HP 1022NW printer to one PowerLine, and then the 2nd PowerLine sits in an entirely different location and plugs into your WiFi router. 

3. After YEARS of trouble getting my HP 1022NW to connect to my WPA2 Wireless Network, and after YEARS of dealing with HP's completely incompetent & basically nonexistent technical support, and after being forced to come up with my own solution (see #1 above) that cost me even more money ($$$), I will NEVER NEVER NEVER buy another HP product for the rest of my life. Plus, as a computer consultant in the tech industry, I have influenced 200 other businesses to never purchase HP printers either. I have been doing this for the last 5 years. HP's terrible support will eventually be the death of them. People talk, people blog, and people spread the word. My 200 clients have been forbidden from purchasing HP printers in their office for the last 5 years. I can't wait for the day when HP goes out of business.

4. The only printers I have bought for my small office over the last 5 years are the Epson WorkForce line of printers. These printers are absolutely amazing, they have AirPrint built into them (so you can print from iOS devices to them), they have remote email printing built into them, and they can connect to all modern wireless networks. They also have absolutely amazing OS X support, and they have fairly decent tech support (especially compared to HP which, as we know, has turned out to be a truly terrible company). For larger offices that need enterprise-level printers, I recommend the Canon ImageRunner line of printers/photocopiers/scanners.

HP Recommended

Nice one Scotty lol :generic:

While HP product quality is generally pretty good (in my opinion) I'd agree that their tech support, every time I've had need to contact them, has been absolutely useless (the trouble we had with this update was proof enough of this).

I also have my printer plugged in via ethernet cable.  I use Belkin's Gigabit Powerline HD adapters to extend cabled connections around the house for those devices which can't connect to Wifi.

Rich

HP Recommended
Hello all! I've updated the firmware on my 1022nw from (incorrect) version 20120928 (which disabled Wi-Fi) to correct one (latest version 20130314), but got an issue I can't resolve even with hard reset procedure. The printer prints the job infinitely (!!!) until paper is out. The printer test page also does. On previous firmware (without Wi-Fi) all was correct! Please, tell me how to clean up the issue? Is there any "long reset" procedure for the 1022nw available on other models? Any other firmware update trick?.. Regards, Timofei Kushnir
HP Recommended

Disable bi-directional support. This should resolve the problem

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.