Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I understand and to be honest I "feared" this kind of solution as the standard installation way works without any problems on other computers. Please see this case as closed.

Thank you very much for your assistance and help you provided promptly.

HP Recommended

Hi lasa_sk,

Thank you for the update. Let me know how things turn out?

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
HP Recommended
I've had the same problem on winxp with a Laserjet cm1415fnw.
The program should give better error message and allow you to skip the step that crashes so you can still scan and fax.
HP Recommended

Hi ssblaylock,

What error message are you getting?

What is the operating system on your computer?

How do you have the printer connected to the computer?

HP designed a quick and easy tool that diagnoses and resolves many printing, scanning, and connectivity problems: The HP Print and Scan Doctor. HP recommends that you download and install the Print and Scan Doctor any time you need to troubleshoot a problem with your HP printer from the link below.

Let me know what errors you receive?

http://www.hp.com/go/tools

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

No error message but "fatal error"

Winxp sp3

Wireless

The install disk and downloaded full install starts and goes thru the expanding then stops and says Fatal Error. If I have the driver (just for printing) installed it gets uninstalled at this time. The chat id was 31712054 where Anthony just had me do another manual install. But I need the full capability to scan and fax on this computer. Will let you know what the troubleshooter says when I go in again.

Steve

HP Recommended

Hi Steve,

Update the firmware from the link below, and then follow the 1603 Fatal error document to turn off all your startup programs. Follow the steps below to uninstall and reinstall the printer.

Firmware Update

1. Fatal Error 'Error 1603
  2. Open Control Panel
  3. Click on Uninstall a program
  4. Uninstall the Officejet 8600 from the list
  5. Reboot your computer
  6. Download and install the latest version of Adobe flash player

Adobe Flash Update

1. Download the full feature software and drivers, and then reinstall the printer.

Full Feature software and driver

Let me know what happens?

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

OK, tools showed no error. I need to do the firmware update next. And have already downloaded the full install.

I tried to send this earlier (from the target computer) but kept getting a 500 server unavailable error.

HP Recommended

Finally fixed! The firmware update didn't work but was nice to have.  Stopping the hp services and deleting the files didn't do it. But going into msconfig and stopping startup processes and services not microsoft (with a reboot) did the trick. The process finally went past prepare to install and went to find printer.

HP Recommended

Hi Steve,

Glad to hear the issue has been resolved. Have a wonderful day.

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended
where is the Accept as solution? I know it's at the top of the previous page but shouldn't there be a place to do it in the left column with Kudos?
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.