Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi, Jeremy.

I've tried to disable and enable it several times. Alone, after restarting the printer, after resetting the wireless settings on the printer, after rebooting my laptop, after scratching my back, after....

Sorry to say, but nothing seems to help..

HP Recommended

I don't pretend to be a computer guru. I can only describe the symptoms of the issue. I do have an ATT U-verse setup. The printer worked in the wireless mode on my wife's Vista system with the ATT system, although we did have to get a signal booster from them, even though it was on the next floor just above the router.

This whole thing has turned out to be an exercise in patience and perseverance. Used to be you connected a printer up and it worked.  I have had ATT, HP, and Dell involved in this and occasional MS searches. It shouldn't be this difficult.

To answer your question, VueScan doesn't seem to support wireless.  I've about dismissed the wireless option as being too intermittent to be viable, at least with regard to scanning.  When in doubt, use a work-around!!!

Best of luck to you in your troubleshooting efforts!

HP Recommended

Hi Colargol66-

Did you try the firewall steps that vikramns posted in the 2nd post on this thread?  Quote:

"Check if you have any firewall and add the exceptions in the firewall

HPNetworkCommunicator.exe, DeviceSetup.exe, FaxSetupWizard.exe, HPScan.exe, ScanToFolderWizard.exe, ,

ScanToPCActivationApp.exe, Toolbox.exe"

To this I would also advise first disabling your firewall altogether to see if that helps.   Do you have multiple firewalls running per chance?

There's a Network Diagnostic Utility (NDU) that HP provides that I've been told can help here is as well.

Jeremy

I am an HP employee, however, this content reflects my personal opinion and is in no way associated with HP.
HP Recommended

Link to HP NDU is here

I am an HP employee, however, this content reflects my personal opinion and is in no way associated with HP.
HP Recommended

Hi, Jeremy.

I have only the Windows 7 firewall, and I've tried to disable it to see if that solved the problem. It didn't.

I get the error message "Error on program startup. The device wasn't specified."

My own translation..

Tried the NDU too, and it says that everything is fine...

HP Recommended
Hi, did you ever get your 5510email scanner to work on windows 7 machine? I have same problem on w7 machine. Thanks
HP Recommended
Hi, did you ever get your 5510 scanner to work on windows 7 machine? I have same problem on w7 machine. Thanks
HP Recommended

Unfortunately, no. I ended up going to a USB setup (losing ePrint) and buying a product called VueScan for $40. It works and eliminates the hassle in dealing with HP to rectify the scan function.

I am extremely disappointed and probably will avoid HP printers in the future. I will also do my homework before buying a printer.

The kicker was that I bought two printers, one for my wife's computer and one for mine. I had a 4500 initially and that didn't work on W7 either so I swapped them.  I couldn't win either way. Fortunately, they both are performing adequately now with the third party software on the 5510 and the other on my wife's Vista software.  Why they wouldn't work with W7, I don't know.

HP Recommended
Thanks. I have done everything possible to get it to work in widows 7 to no avail. Works fine in my xp machine.
HP Recommended

Hi Starbuck-kid-

Perhaps I can help you ... Can you give more details on your Win 7 failure?

Thanks

Jeremy

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.