Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Hp6970 does not print black
Almost new printer
All 4 cartridges almost full
Just printing color but NO black
Did printer maintaince with build in printer head cleaning
Cleaned black printer head with a wet towel
Did hard reset!
No black for printing or photocopy
7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi @Wovi,

Thanks for engaging in HP support Forums! This is a wonderful location to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips! I understand you are having issues while printing in blacking from your HP Officejet printer. Don't worry as I have a few suggestions which should help you resolve this issue.

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Could you provide me with the Operating system installed on the PC? Windows or Mac

Have you recently made any changes on the printer before the issue started?

Are you using genuine HP ink cartridges or refilled cartridges?

Have you tried to clean the ink cartridge contacts?

Are you able to make a copy from the printer?

In the meantime, let's try these steps here: 

Please make sure that the printer is connected directly to the wall outlet and not to the surge protector.

Remove all the ink cartridges and then try to perform a hard reset on the printer.

With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and also unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

Remove USB cable, if present.

Wait for 2-3 minutes, press and hold the power button on your printer for about 30 seconds to remove any additional charge.

Now plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet without any surge protector or an extension cord and then plug back the power cord to the printer.

Turn on the printer and wait till warm-up period finishes and the printer is idle.

Now insert the ink cartridges and then try to print a test page and check if it works.

Let’s first try and make a “photocopy” to determine whether the issue is with the printer or not. Place a document on the scanner glass and choose “Copy” option. If the printer is making a good copy, then the printer hardware is fine.

If the copy comes out bad, then I would suggest here is to follow all the steps suggested in the support document for -   HP OfficeJet Pro 6900 Printers - Fixing Poor Print Quality(This document includes the steps which are suggested for color or black not printing).

If the copy comes out fine, then it looks like an issue with the print drivers. Hence, I would suggest you perform a clean install to get the printer connected to your PC. Here are the steps:

For Windows : 

First, unplug the USB cable from the printer if present.

Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP OfficeJet printer entries and uninstall them.

Now go to Control panel – Devices and printer – Select all the printer entries and remove the device.

Press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" (There is a space between .exe & /) and press enter.

Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.

Again, go to the Run window, type – “c:/programdata” – Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.

Restart your computer.

Now click on this link : https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers  (Please enter the Product number and then select the Operating system and version of Windows before downloading and installing the software).

Connect the USB cable if prompted and follow the onscreen instructions to complete the installation.

Restart the PC once done and then try to print.

If you are using MAC OS, then try the steps here:

• Click the Apple menu icon, and then click “System Preferences”.
  • Click “Printers and Scanner” / “Print and Scan” or “Print and Fax”.
  • Right-click the blank space in the Printers list, and then click “Reset printing system”.
  • Click “Reset” in the confirmation window.
  • Enter an administrator username and password, and then click “OK”.
  • Wait until the printing system is reset and no devices show in the Printers list
  • Restart your computer and then go back to System preferences – Printers and scanners.
  • Click the “Add button” (+).
  • Find, and then select the name of your printer from the printer list, and then click “Add” to add your printer.
  • Click “Print Using...” or “Use”, and then select Secure AirPrint or AirPrint. Alternatively, you may select the name of your printer if available in that list.

Let me know if those steps worked for you.

If they did, that’s awesome!

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,

That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
This does not really help. It’s the cookie cutter HP response. I did all that. Only the black does not print all of a sudden. Even though the printer was purchased just over a year ago, it was maybe used less than 100 copies. Very frustrating. This is a replacement printer from another HP disaster. Very disappointing! I am a longtime HP supporter but it seems to be time to change
HP Recommended

Hi @Wovi,

I have escalated your concern to HP’s Support Team in your region to have it reviewed for available options if any.

You should be contacted within 4 business days (Excluding Holidays & Weekends).

Response times may vary by region.

Please send a Private Message, if you aren’t contacted within 4-5 business days.

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have the exact same issue and executed all the steps you outlined above in the exact order. Without result. Using genuine HP cartridges, all of them at least 70% full. Copying doesn't work either.

I'm based in Germany and the printer was purchased on March 6, 2017 from Amazon.de (Germany). Under German law there is a legal waranty of 2 years. Does that apply in this case and how should I proceed?

Thanks.

@Jeet_singh
HP Recommended

@photis,

Thanks for engaging in HP support Forums! This is a wonderful location to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips! I see from your post that you are having issues while printing in black from your HP Printer. Don't worry we'll work together to help you find a solution.

Splendid effort and fabulous description of the issue before posting. Kudos to you on that score.  You are a valued HP customer and it is paramount to assist you here. I take it as a privilege to share this platform with you.

As you have mentioned in your post that you have followed all the steps suggested as well as making a copy from the printer and unfortunately nothing has helped to resolve this issue.

Don't worry I'm going to send you a private message with the information required for further assistance. 

Please check your Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile,

Next, to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.

Please reply back on the public post as this Private message box is not monitored.

(The reason we are utilizing the private message is because the instructions are critical,

And we don't want it in the wrong hands, as the printer will be set back to factory defaults).

Keep me posted for further assistance.

I hope this helps resolve this issue completely,

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Dear Jeet_Singh,

Your answer wasn't useful at all. Your private message wasn't either.

Moreover I completely fail to see what is so critical about the instructions in the private message. Or why you don't want them in the wrong hands: you just asked me to go to yet another form where I can yet again explain what the problem is. And NO, there is nothing in those instructions that will set the printer back to factory settings.

As I said, you just point me to another URL where I have to fill in a form. Moreover that page, after I select the country where I momentarily resides, forces upon me a language in which I'm not very conversant. You guys have to start accepting that in Europe people can live in countries the language of which that don't fully master.

Very disappointed,

photis

HP Recommended

I have the same problem and tried all of these proposed solutions.  Nothing works.  Any other ideas?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.