Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

If I want to use my HP7520 printer i need to turn on the printer and then turn off my modem. Then the modem will give a IP adress to the printer. 

If the problem is the printer or the modem is unknown to me? 

HP Recommended

Please provide the following relevant information so someone can help including:

Printer Model -

Detailed Problem Description -

Operating System of computer (including service pack revision) -

Connection Method - USB, Hardwired LAN, Wireless? -

Make and model of router and modem? -

Error messages - on printer screen and/or computer, any blinking light patterns. 

If wireless, status of Blue Wireless light on printer, on, off or blinking? -

Explain how everything is connected.

HP Recommended

You're kidding, right? 10 pages of customer complaints spanning a number of years and an HP rep is finally paying attention! The configuration of one particular poster matters not. Here you have countless customers experiencing the same problems. I'm betting there are various routers/modem in use. An array of equipment. The only common factor is that we have to connect via USB because this unit cannot communicate via wi-fi. 

HP Recommended

That's why in 90% of the cases it's a router setting issue.

HP Recommended

JesperDK -

Thanks!  I powered both the Printer and Router down, then fired up the Printer before the Router.  The IP address came back up as the same one: 192.168.1.3 - but I could ping it and was able to re-load it as available to my computer and I changed some settings as recommend by others, just-in case:

1. UPnP - Off

2. Manual IP, Subnet and Gateway  - used their suggested ones so the IP is 192.168.1.233 (of course I lost comms with it on by browser after it was Applied, but it was easy to reload the address and keep going.

3. Assured "Auto Off" was disabled and set energy savings to 15 minutes.

4. Assured that the "Product Updates" under Web Services was: On.  

Thanks again!

HP Recommended

Thanks Regents Professor for replying.   Maybe you can help others here.  

However, the previous post got me going.  If you want to look at that all my changes are noted.  If there's something else that should be done, please advise ... but I'm up-and-running!  

will assure that my router has the most current software version soon, I tried a direct update that failed.  So I've downloaded the most current software file for it, it's a NetGear WGT624 and I have the Version 4 update.  It could be the verson that in it - but I'll load it again, if needed.  I don't think the router was the problem.  But then again, I'll see over time if this solution 'sticks.'   Thanks.

HP Recommended

Great.  I was enthused that all was good.  

Then I posted and when that was done I decided to do one last test print and ... it doesn't work!  

I can ping it and get to it via a browser using the IP address ... but when I print the print queue says "The printer is not connected."  But I can ping it?

Anyway ... I'll go thru the reboot tomorrow and, if that works, print what I need to while it works.

And, shouldn't make any difference but the computer is a Apple MacBook Pro running OS X (Lion?)  I'm WiFi to the Router (using the Web now) and WiFi to the printer.  Hummm.

HP Recommended

These settings are for setting up your wireless printer to stay connected to your router, keep wireless devices better connected and makes your router secure and hack proof.

1. Set a static IP in the printer (click here) outside the DHCP range of the router (check your manual).

This is for Linksys routers but can be used for all routers. Verify your DHCP range and change this

first if needed. More Wireless Printing help is here (Windows solution 4, static IP).

2. Verify in the printer that 'Auto Off/Sleep' is disabled.  Use the Embedded Web Server (EWS) by going

to the printers IP address in your browsers address bar, click Settings Tab/Auto Off. Or use the Printer

Assistant, Printer Home Page (EWS). Also check your Printers Properties.

3. If the printer supports and has IPv6 enabled, turn off IPv6 in the printer.

4. If needed and you assigned a static IP address, try using 8.8.8.8 for the Preferred DNS server and

8.8.4.4 at the Alternate DNS server.

In the router: (Refer to your router manual for information)

5. Use a fixed wireless channel like 1, 6 or 11, never 'auto', try channel 1 first then the rest. 

6. Set router to 20Mhz only, or 145Mbps depending on router. 

7. Always use WPA2-AES (Personal) encryption, but you can try ‘mixed’ mode. 

8. Disable WPS and never use it and disable UPnP for the routers security. Nobody can hack your

system now and helps with wireless connectivity (if you want to know why, search the web).

9. If you have a dual band router (2.4Ghz and 5.0Ghz bands), make sure the SSID’s are NOT the same,

they must be different for all bands, even for any Guest networks.

10. SSID broadcast must be enabled.

11. Save all settings. Power off both, wait 2 mins.  Power on router wait 2 mins. 

12. Power on printer and verify it reconnects to router. 

Windows 7/8/8.1   Is Network Discovery on or off?

1. Control Panel/Network and Internet/Network and Sharing Center/Advanced sharing settings.
  2. Under Home or Work (current profile) / Network Discovery.
  3. Select "Turn on network discovery" and save changes.
HP Recommended
Are you still having the issue?
HP Recommended
I it is losing wireless when it goes to sleep you have to shut the sleep mode off. That was the only way I could fix the problem.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.