Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

@suhel wrote:

I have problem in my printer, always massage coming "Print Cartridge" refer to printer documentation. I done few things still problem has not gone. I can not print anything now. I always replace HP original cartridges.Please give me any solution to resolve my problem. 

Hi Suhel
Did you try cleaning the cartridge contacts?

Thanks

Ciara

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
HP Recommended

Hi

Same problem here with HP C5283, (Print Cartridges , Refer to printer documentation)

Its wierd, i didnt even change the cartridges, actually i did nothing with my printer, it was working well in the morning and I printed about 5 pages. but in the afternoon I turned it on and the error message just showed up ! After some restarting, the message did go away and it worked again !!!! I printed 3 pages and it was ok, but the next day another time the error showed up !!!!!!!!!!  2 times after that, the message went away but when I sent the print request it appeared again ! 

its so confusing. I tried cleaning the contacts, semi-reset with power cord, removing cartridges and putting them back several times and its not still working.

HP Recommended

The red exclamation mark flashes and the screen message says "Refer to printer documentation."  How do I correct it?

HP Recommended

I found the solution about 2 months ago: buy a new printer

HP Recommended

I agree buy a new printer. I had this C5280 less than 2 years when I encountered this problem. I did some research on how to correct it. So I pulled the cartridge and underneath was FULL of ink. I tried to clean it and just could not get in there to get it all out I guess because it still will not work. I only used HP cartridges. I found no ink on the contacts.

HP Recommended

Thank you; yours was the only solution, period.  AND IT WORKED!  THANKS so much.

HP Recommended

Hi SOBooker, just wanted to verify - it worked afer you cleaned ink from inside the printer? Would you have any photos you could share, as I'd like to understand this more.

Thanks, Ciara

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
HP Recommended

I must have some problem on  my printer , left cartrige 

and the printer tell me "  refer to printer documentation "

two days ago i got both cartriges refilled at costco

please help me ,  thanks and regards

HP Recommended

cannot fix this...read the posts...the colour cartridge was bleeding red...took qtips to clean out the black ink...but still flashes REFER TO PRINTER DOCUMENTATION...black cartridge was purchased in sept and colour less than a year ago...

HP Recommended

I am also having the same error,you think HP would realise something is not right and try and help their customers but oh no,all they say is buy more cartridges or replace the printer. come on HP get yourself into gear and help your customers

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.