Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi, '

how can I set my HP Envy 4500 to print in black and white as a default setting?

I thought I had put it in the default settings when I installed it but it does not work.

Colour printing is mostly useless for me.

Thanks

24 REPLIES 24
HP Recommended

Hi barbara-it,

I understand you have an Envy 4500 and are wanting to set it to print in black ink only as a default setting. I'd be happy to help you set this up.

The steps you perform to get this setting do depend on which operating system you are working with. I am going to provide the steps for Windows 7, as it's most common, but if you have a different version of Windows, or are using Mac, just let me know and I will adjust the instructions 🙂

You will want to begin with accessing your Devices and Printers folder (via your Control Panel) and right click on your Officejet 6700 icon and select Printing Preferences. The window that opens will be similar to the screen on the left of the screen shot below. On that screen you will click the Advanced button and then you will see a screen similar to the one on the right of the screen shot. There you will select the Black Ink Only setting and press OK. Then press Apply on the previous screen before again pressing OK. The driver will now be set to use the black ink only.

GrayscaleWin7.jpg

Hope this helps, have a great day!!

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to thank me for responding! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post resolved your issue, as it will help others find the solution faster!

**MissTeriLynn**
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Hi MissTeriLynn

I have the opposite problem, my new HP Envy 4500 is only printing in black and white from all programs and I can not find the settings to alter or check the status - can you please help?

I have a Mac  (OSX  Version 9.2) and I have printed the test page which prints in colour??

Thanks

HP Recommended

Hi jo8910,

I understand you are having the opposite problem from above, I'm sorry to hear this, but I'd be happy to help!

Please follow the screen shot below to make sure you don't have the Black Ink Only setting enabled on your Mac. You just need to open a program, click File then Print and possibly Show Details.

GrayscaleMac.jpg

Hope this helps!

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post resolved your issue, as it will help others find the solution faster!

**MissTeriLynn**
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Hi MissTeriLynn

I can not get the detailed print options to appear on any program I open, they are limited to what is showing on the screen shot below:

When a black and white option is visable it is not highlighted, but is printing b&w in every program, everytime.

Thanks

Screen Shot 2014-03-20 at 10.21.10 am.png

HP Recommended

Hi jo8910,

Thanks for the reply!

Have you tried checking the settings in Text/Edit as well? If you don't have the Paper Type/Quality option there either, it's possible you have the AirPrint driver as opposed to the HP driver on the Mac. I'd suggest that you reset your printing system, and when re-adding the driver make sure that you are picking HP Envy 4500 not AirPrint as shown in the screen shot below for the Photosmart 5510.

5520DudeNOAIRPRINT.jpg

Let me know how this goes!

**MissTeriLynn**
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Hi MissTeriLynn

I just couldn't find all the the settings and was getting very fustrated - so I deleted the printer and re-installed it and it is now printing colour again 🙂

Hopefully it stays working - thanks for your  suggestions

Jo8910

HP Recommended

I can't seem to find out how to print in black and white only on my HP Envy 4500. I looked on this forum and followed a solution, but it still did not work. I have windows vista.

I went to control panel, printers, hp envy 4500 and right clicked, print preferences, paper quality tab, clicked advanced, selected print in black and white only, clicked ok, apply, ok etc. My picture printed in color. I went back and made sure it still said print in black and white only, which it did, and it is still printing in color. I am extremely frustrated, can someone help? I want to be able to easily and quickly toggle back and forth between color and black and white. Thanks.

HP Recommended

WITHOUT having to remove and replace the color cartridge constantly 😉

HP Recommended

Hi appellativo,

Welcome to the thread 🙂

Certain programs seem to be able to over ride the settings in the driver, so with the program you're using, you may have to put the settings in for each print job. To do this, you would open the file you want to print in the program you want to print it from, click File and then Print. In the Print Dialogue box there should be a Preferences (maybe labeled Properties as well) and then do the same thing you did in the driver to set black ink only and see if that works any better.

Let me know how things go!

**MissTeriLynn**
I work on behalf of HP
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.