Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 4500 series printer
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Unable to get to settings and can't turn wireless off on printer. When rebooting printer or changing a cartridge, it always has to print the alignment page, then scan it.  That no longer works on my printer.  It just hangs at that point. Previously, I was able to delete the printer and reinstall it to recover from this. I've tried connecting by USB.  The printer installs and is detected just fine, but always shows "device is busy" if I try to print or scan the alignment page from HP tools (of course, it's hung up).

Last week, it printed the alignment page but would hang up on scanning.  Now it won't do either.

First, I need to get it working.

Second, is there a way to turn that blasted auto aligning/scanning off every time the printer is turned on?  I turn my printer off on days when I'm not using it to save on power draw. That just wastes time, paper and ink.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @BackyardCloud9

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I appreciate you taking the time to share your concern and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers.

I reviewed your post and I understand that the printer is printing an alignment page every time your turn on the printer and it hangs while scanning.

I’d love to help!

In order that I may provide you with an accurate solution, I will need a few more details and I would appreciate if you could, perhaps elaborate on your concern.

• When was the last time the printer was working fine?
  • Have you made any software or hardware changes on the computer?
  • Have you performed any troubleshooting steps before posting?

Meanwhile, follow the steps in the below article and check if it helps.

http://hp.care/2qGHlv2

Let me know how it works and you have a good day ahead.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The printer was working fine a week ago.  No software or hardware changes except to change the printer cartridges last week before it stopped working.  I have tried all the troubleshooting steps at the suggested site except to update the firmware.  I'm leary about that as I had a bad experience with it once.

Let me explain again:  I've had the printer almost 7 months but have not used it that much.  I have only changed the cartridges once, last week.  It has always printed an alignment page every time it was turned on even if I had not changed a cartridge.  Then the scanning of the alignment page would follow.  Is that normal ? Why would that be required at every bootup?  I don't see where it could be turned off either.  It wastes paper and ink!

Now, when I turn the printer on, it says 'now printing alignment page' but it never prints. And the prompt to scan never follows.  The 'now printing alignment page' message stays on.

I can print documents, but for every job the 'align printer' message box pops up.  I choose 'Don't align.' and it prints the job successfully.  If I try to align the printer at that message, it says the device is busy  (because it thinks it's in the middle of printing an alignment page!)  When I lift the lid, the scanning bar does not light nor move.  So it seems to me the aligning and scanning options are broken.

Service would probably cost more than a new printer.  We used to be happy with HP printers, but the last 2 we've had have not served us well at all.

HP Recommended

Hi @BackyardCloud9, I am the @Chimney_83. It looks like you were interacting with @The_Fossette, but he is out of the office today so I'll take over from here.

Thanks for the reply and providing more information. Whenever you replace cartridges on the printer, the printer has to complete the alignment process. 

Have you tried to use the printer's front panel to align the printer, refer to the procedure mentioned under "Alignment page did not print?section of this HP Article

Also, refer to this HP Article for assistance if the alignment fails. 

Are you able to make a copy on the printer? If you are unable to make a copy on the printer, please contact our phone support to check on the service options available for your printer. 

Keep me posted. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.