Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 5530
OS X

My HP Envy 5530 was iffy at scanning previously with my Mac, but now that I've updated my Mac's operating system to Yosemite (Version 10.10.1), I can't get the printer to scan at all, it says it can't find the computer. It prints and copies just fine though. I also want to keep it connected to my Mac through a USB cord not through wifi. I tried installing the HP Print and Scan Doctor program. I downloaded it but my Mac says it can't open it as it doesn't have the program to open it with - it must be a pc only program.

Please help!

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hello @JHLarson , welcome back to the forums:)

I have a few suggestions that should help you scan again after upgrading to Yosemite!

Please try these steps in order:

1. Mac OS X: How to reset the printing system
  2. Repair disk permissions
  3. Restart the Mac
  4. Download and install the Full Driver here: HP ENVY 5530 e-All-in-One Printer series Full Feature Software and Drivers
  5. In addition, download this driver: HP Printer Drivers v3.0 for OS X

Let me know if you can now scan through the HP scan software!

Happy New Year:)

a i n b o w 7000

I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

I am having the EXACT same issue as @JHLarson

I tried the steps that @Rainbow7000 listed but still does not work.

In the HP Utility Setup, the printer does not show up.

This works on my Mac Book Pro that is running 10.9.5....but not for my iMac running 10.10.1

Thoughts? Thanks!

HP Recommended

Thank you by the way.

Jesse

HP Recommended

I have a macbook air running OS X v 10.10.2 and it will not recognize my Envy 5530 as a scanner. It prints just fine but I cannot scan. I followed Rainbow's instructions but it still will not scan. This is extremely frustrating. I used to love HP printers but they are becoming a real pain to use with mac. Please help!

HP Recommended

Welcome to the HP Community @timmersaz !

I saw that you tried the steps I suggested above in order to scan with your Envy 5530 to your Mac running 10.10.2, and you're still unable to scan. I will do my best to help you some more! I have some questions to get started so I can familiarize myself with your specific situation.

1.  How do you have your printer connected to your Mac (Wireless, Ethernet, USB)?

2. Can you successfully copy from the front panel of the printer?

3. Have you tried scanning from HP Scan, HP Utility, Preview, and Image Capture? (If not, try all of these methods and let me know the outcome).

4. Do you see any error messages on the printer or your computer, and if so, what are they saying?

I hope to hear from you!

a i n b o w 7000

I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

I was able to get this working again...

My issue was that with Mcafee...the Mcafee firewall default was to setup my wifi as PUBLIC...as a result, any of my wifi devices (including HP Envy, Apple TV, etc) were automatically BLOCKED and not showing up....once i changed this setting to PRIVATE, all of my devices began working properly again....

I am using Yosemite and now the scanner works just fine...I have tested this on an iMac, iMac 5k, and macbook...same issue and solution applied...

I hope this helps someone

HP Recommended

Hello Rainbow and thank you for helping me. I connect to the printer via wireless. I am able to copy from the front panel of the printer. When I try scanning from HP Scan or HP Utility neither of them recognizes a scanner. I am not sure where to go to scan from Preview or Image Capture. I had always scanned from HP Scan before. The only error message i get is when I try to use HP Scan and then it says no scanner selected.

HP Recommended

Hey there timmersaz,

Thanks for getting back to me with the information. Could you try connecting the printer to your Mac with a USB cable and try scanning next? This will tell us if there is any wireless issues occuring and will help us through the process of elimination.

Also try a Webscan when connected wireless to see if this method works. You will need to retrieve the printers IP address through the Wireless Menu on the printer, and type in the IP address into a web browser on your computer to access the Embedded Web Server (printers webpage), from there you will see the option to Webscan.

sourcescantab.PNG

Also check your security settings, do you have McAfee, or another firewall installed as dabone523  mentioned above?

Let me know the results so far when you are done testing out these steps:)

a i n b o w 7000

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Rainbow7000,

I'm also on 10.10.2 and cannot for the life of me get this thing to scan. Prints fine though. I ran through all the steps you suggested above including installing all the drivers. No Luck

To answer your questions form earlier,

1. connected via wifi

2. no, it will not copy, just hangs indefinitely

3.I've tried it with all of those and it still doesn't work

4. From HP Scan on my computer I'm getting "Scan failed to complete"

and there are no firewall issues.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.