Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

My HP LaserJet 200 colorMFP (M276nw) is displaying an "Unexpected paper size in tray 1. Load Custom." error each time I try to print envelopes. The 1st envelope always prints fine and fast, then before the 2nd can print a "cleaning" message displays for up to a minute, then the "Unexpected Paper Size" message comes up. At that point I can press continue and it will print the next envelope and get stuck back in the cleaning, unexpected paper size, error.  I've seen reference to this problem for other model HP printers, so there MUST be a solution to this. HP? Anyone?

HP-Error-Unexpected-Paper-Size.jpg

30 REPLIES 30
HP Recommended

Hi, is the firmware on the 200 up to date?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post that solves your issue as "Accept as Solution".
I am a volunteer and do not work for HP.
HP Recommended

Yes firmware is up to date (according to HP Firmware Updater app).

HP Recommended

HP refuses to provide support for this printer over the phone, yet HP wont provide solutions via the web either so what is a user to do?! A printer should be able to print envleops. But this HP PRINTER CAN'T PRINT ENVELOPES without error and HP wont help. Remember that scene from Office Space, it's about to be repeated in the parking lot. Video to follow.

HP Recommended

Maybe a bad paper switch on the input tray or in the 200 body.

What size of envelope are you printing?

If warranty is over then there is a charge for HP support.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post that solves your issue as "Accept as Solution".
I am a volunteer and do not work for HP.
HP Recommended

I saw your post and forwarded it to the right people for their review. You should hear back from someone shortly via private message on this Forum.

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------

I am not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

I'm only able to print two pages on plain paper, regular letter size. Then i get cleaning mode and unexpected paper size error.

I've had the machien only afew months and just started doing this a week ago. tkaes forever for 50 pages

HP Recommended

I understand you are having issues printing envelopes and the printer keeps going into cleaning cycle.

In word software for printing envelope you have to set the auto select feature.
In word software open word/go to tools/go to letters & mailing/select envelopes & labels/shows boxes to type in addresses/click options button/click printing options/set to auto select from drop down/select ok then click print button automatically prints. 

I have included a url for setting up the wireless again.

Any further issues just let me know.
Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Hello Gemini,

I have a similar problem on a HP LaserJet 100 color MFP M175nw; the problem is that it does not print the second page and comes with unexped size in tray 1. load A4 and press OK; the printer is out of warranty and none of the suggested solutions found on the web actually remedies the problem. what can be done except carrying in the printer to HP Service?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Gece

HP Recommended

Hi gecekusu

I understand the printer will print page one and then it doesn't print the second page and you are getting the error of unexpected size in tray 1. Load A4 and press OK.

Sounds to me more like a software issue.

Verify that the tray is set to the correct size through the printer preferences.

Try printing from another application to see if you get the error.

You can run a firmware update from this link. Select your operating system and then click next, select the firmware link.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?product=5076465&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&cc=us

If you require further assistance please provide the following so I can assist you
better.

What operating system are you using? (winxp, win7, win8, win8.1)

What size of paper are you printing on?

What programs have you tried to print from?

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.