Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
LaserJet P1102w
Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite

I've been struggling with this problem for a long time, but today this totally freaked me out. I was ready to throw away this piece of ..printer!

Problem is simple. When I'm trying to print wirelessly something with graphics (jpeg pictures or photos) from my iPhone, iPad iOS 8.4 or MacBook OS X 10.10 Yosemite, it takes forever! Word document, PDF, from Preview or other programs - same result! I just couldn't pring 9 page document today, after 20 minutes I gave up.

What's happening. Let's say I'm using mac. Print task goes to printer queue, as usual. After that, this task shows in queue as "connecting to printer", green light starts blinking on printer, as usual. This is taking a minute or two, that's what unusual. After that, "starting printing page 1". It can take 1, 2, 3 minutes... forever! Next, either ONE page actually prints (for 5-7 minute mark at this point) and it takes same time to print page two and so on, or (likely) it will spit out unfinished page (only couple of inches printed and the rest of the page is blank) and show an error, orange light blinking. UGH!!!

I gave up on iPhone/iPad long time ago, since they can't show print queue and therefore it's unpredictable result. You can wait 10 minutes for your document, then leave, and later on just find the document printed when you no longer need it (or half of the document).

I do not have this problem when printing just text, emails, simple confirmation pages from safari and so on. Only when printing document with graphics or heavy pdf. I do not have this problem when connecting printer via USB (discovered this today). Now what really bugs me, it's the fact that I was actually able to print heavy PDF from Windows machine with no problem, wirelessly (I did have problem printing exact same document from my mac). WHAT IS GOING ON?!

I've googled this problem and found that I'm not alone. I've updated all software and firmware, I've tried to reset everything - NO DICE! This is really very frustrating. I was thinking this is because of small memory of the printer, but why it works perfectly via USB then?

Anyway, this is a cry from the heart. Please help. The printer is good, but unusabe in some situations.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello @Ivan4!

Welcome to the HP Community.

I hope you have a pleasant experience here!

I'd like to help you with the slow printing that you are experiencing when printing images to your HP LaserJet P1102w wirelessly from your Apple devices.

Thank you so much for the detailed description. Since the printer is able to print fine wirelessly from the windows machine, we know that the issue is not with the printer or the communication. The fact that none of the Apple devices are able to print images wirelessly without it being really slow, leads me to beleive it may be an Issue with the AirPrint driver or Bonjour protocol that your Apple devices use to communicate the information.

Picture files are much larger, and a lot more data needs to be transmitted, so it is normal for them to take longer to print than a regular text document. However, if there is a marked difference in speed between the Windows computer and the Apple devices, then the issue is likely not just that the files are larger.

I'd like to get you to make sure the printer is installed with the correct driver on your Mac. (Because there is no full feature HP software available for Mac 10.10 the operating system will often default to the AirPrint driver)

1. Click the Apple icon on your Menu Bar.
  2. Select System Preferences.
  3. Select Printers and Scanners.
  4. Select your printer and then press the (-) button at the bottom of the list to remove it.
  5. Select the (+) and click Add Printers and Scanners. (NOTE: Do not select the printer from the list of Nearby printers as this will often automatically use the AirPrint driver)
  6. Select your printer (the one that shows Bonjour Multifunction under "Kind").
  7. At the bottom of the window under Use: does it say AirPrint? If so, click the drop down and you should see a specific driver for the printer. Click Add.
  8. Try printing an image again, and let me know the result.

If this works to resolve the issue, then I would suggest downloading the HP ePrint app on your iPhone and iPad to print. It may be an incompatibilty issue between the AirPrint on your Apple devices and your router.

I look forward to hearing back from you, and working towards a resolution for this issue.

:catvery-happy:

HeyListen
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hello @Ivan4!

Welcome to the HP Community.

I hope you have a pleasant experience here!

I'd like to help you with the slow printing that you are experiencing when printing images to your HP LaserJet P1102w wirelessly from your Apple devices.

Thank you so much for the detailed description. Since the printer is able to print fine wirelessly from the windows machine, we know that the issue is not with the printer or the communication. The fact that none of the Apple devices are able to print images wirelessly without it being really slow, leads me to beleive it may be an Issue with the AirPrint driver or Bonjour protocol that your Apple devices use to communicate the information.

Picture files are much larger, and a lot more data needs to be transmitted, so it is normal for them to take longer to print than a regular text document. However, if there is a marked difference in speed between the Windows computer and the Apple devices, then the issue is likely not just that the files are larger.

I'd like to get you to make sure the printer is installed with the correct driver on your Mac. (Because there is no full feature HP software available for Mac 10.10 the operating system will often default to the AirPrint driver)

1. Click the Apple icon on your Menu Bar.
  2. Select System Preferences.
  3. Select Printers and Scanners.
  4. Select your printer and then press the (-) button at the bottom of the list to remove it.
  5. Select the (+) and click Add Printers and Scanners. (NOTE: Do not select the printer from the list of Nearby printers as this will often automatically use the AirPrint driver)
  6. Select your printer (the one that shows Bonjour Multifunction under "Kind").
  7. At the bottom of the window under Use: does it say AirPrint? If so, click the drop down and you should see a specific driver for the printer. Click Add.
  8. Try printing an image again, and let me know the result.

If this works to resolve the issue, then I would suggest downloading the HP ePrint app on your iPhone and iPad to print. It may be an incompatibilty issue between the AirPrint on your Apple devices and your router.

I look forward to hearing back from you, and working towards a resolution for this issue.

:catvery-happy:

HeyListen
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!

HP Recommended

Oh. My. God.

IT WORKS!!! Can you believe that?! Ah, what a pleasure, it actually prints heavy pdf just like any plain text document! Months of struggling, tens of missed opportunities to conveniently and quickly print scans at home, and – let’s face it – faith in wireless printing has almost vanished completely! Oh dear. It works. It works... Thanks heaven. *Brushing away a tear of happiness.* (No, really, I’m not exaggerating. Well… Maybe a tiny little bit.)

@HeyListen, I don’t know how to thank you for this. You’ve just earned a bold solid point to your karma.

Your reply should come printed and included in every box of P1102w, or at least be first in google search results page.

Thank you for quick reply, understandable and workable solution. Thank you for making one more happy HP printer user in this world. Thank you.

I'll look into downloading ePrint app later, but mac is my main work tool, and for now I'm going to celebrate the union between printer and macbook. Hooray!

HP Recommended

IT WORKS!

Absoloutely fantastic. After months of frustration I can now print page after page. Thank you so much.

HP Recommended

HI, 

With your advice i could solve this issue when i print from a Mac. 

But printing from an iOS device is still very slow. I tried using the  HP ePrint app and is still very slow for printing an image. 
I think it is just the Airprint drivers, the HP app use them too? Can i change it? 

Thank you in advance!

(And sorry for my english, i'm from Argentina)

HP Recommended

well, i almostlyntried all types of mobile phones

iam using ipad and iphone it takes forver to print

but when i use my laptop wind 10 it prints very fast

so please is there any kind of sluotion 

HP Recommended

Méthodologie parfaitement opérationnelle sur un iMac mi 2010 sous MacOs Sierra 10.12.2 . Merci

HP Recommended

@eclms

Thank you for visiting our English HP Support Forum. We are only able to reply to posts written in English. To insure a quick response it would be advisable to post your question in English. The following links are here to assist you if you prefer to post in the following Language Forum.

German: HP Kundenforum
Spanish: Foro de usuarios de HP
French: Forum des utilisateurs
Portuguese: Fórum dos usuários HP
Chinese: 惠普个人客户支持论坛
Korean: HP 지식커뮤니티

Thank you for your understanding

I Work for HP
HP Recommended

Thanks for your inputs.. it worked perfectly with my Mac.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.