Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
I would like to set up a wireless system for  a system that will consist of a desktop computer and a labtop in different floors/rooms of the house, plus a HP Officejet 6310 All in One printer.  I know I need a wireless router for the desktop & laptop.  Does the Hp 631 contain a wireless connection?   If not, will I have to purchase a wireless printer server?  If yes, where does one get one, approximate cost and are they easy to install?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

On the front of the printer: Setup > Network > Restore Network Defaults.  Now from the same Network menu, run the Wireless Setup WIzard.  Follow the instructions to connect your printer to your new router.

If you are on Windows: Start > Control Panel > Printers.  Delete all instances of the printer.

Finally, re-add the printer in this way:

1. Make sure the printer is turned on and connected to your network. Verify that you can access the printer's internal web page by browsing to its IP address before continuing. Get its IP from a Network Test printed from the front panel of the printer.
2. Click >> Start >> Control panel >> Printers.
3. Click the Add a printer
4. Select Local printer
5. Select Create a new port and select Standard TCP/IP Port and click Next button.
6. Under Device type, select TCP/IP Device. Under Hostname or IP address, enter the printer's IP address. Click Next.
7. Select Hewlett-Packard from the list of manufacturers and select and select your printer model. Click Next.
If your printer model was not listed, then select Have Disk, browse the HP CD that came with your printer and select the first file that starts with hp and ends with inf. Click Open then OK. Select your printer model. Click Next.
8. If you are asked, use the currently installed driver.
9. It will ask for the Printer name -- enter a new name or use the existing one. This will be the name of the printer that you select from other applications.
10. You may be asked to share the printer. Choose NO.
11. The Print Test Page box appears. Go ahead and print it.
12. Click Finish.

I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.

View solution in original post

28 REPLIES 28
HP Recommended
Do you have a wireless router? If yes, try connecting the printer to your wireless router using Ethernet/LAN cable. The printer itself doesn't have a wireless capability embedded with it but you can still hook it up on the network and the rest of your wireless computers can still print on it without necessarily using a wireless print server.
Please click on KUDOS if you find my solution helpful.
HP Recommended

I have been struggling with my iMac and HP6310 and wireless. Connected the ethernet to printer and airport and am downloading something that I hope with help me install the features to make it work.  Any tips if that doesn't work, and more importantly do I need to download. Because with just the ethernet connection nothing worked. Said it couldn't find a printer. 

HP Recommended

What version of OS X?  Was the printer originally installed with a wireless connection and now is connected wired with Ethernet?

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

I have a cicsco wrt160N router connected to my desktop, which has this HP Officejet 6310 printer connected via a USB port.  The printer does have an ethernet connection capability.  My ISP is AT&T, a 3 meg dsl connection.  The printer was originally installed not to share.  Please tell me how I can make this printer share with the desktop and 2 laptops, all via my wireless network.

Tnaks,

cocran1

HP Recommended

I would recommend NOT using USB to your router, but use Ethernet instead.  Then install the HP software for  your printer and the appropriate operating system from the "Support & Drivers" link at the top of this page on EACH computer.

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

I also want to connect my HP Officejet to my router, but my router only has ethernet connection and my printer does not have an ethernet connection to allow me to plug into router.  What is the best way around this problem?

Thanks

HP Recommended

If your OfficeJet is USB only, you cannot effectively attach it to a network, sorry.

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

My laptop says it can not find the printer.  What can I do to help it find the 6310 printer?

HP Recommended
I have it connected by eithernet cord as your post said to do. Laptop still can't find my printer.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.