Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

HP Officejet 6500A Plus, Mac OS X 10.6.8,

The printer does not feed paper.  Then gives the message that 'printer is out of paper'.  I have done all of the reset and cleaning procedures recommended on the HP web site.  That does not correct the problem when I do 'Print Status Report'.

Observing through the front with a flashlight, the paper feed mechanism comes down on top of the paper stack, but the rollers do not feed paper.  Then the feed mechanism lifts up and the error message 'printer is out of paper' is displayed on the small screen on the printer. 

If a single sheet of paper is inserted deep into the printer so that it can be captured by the print rollers, then the printer produces a normal 'printer status report'.

The problem appeared after printing some photos on official HP photo paper with new official HP cartridges.

Advice?

molybdenum

23 REPLIES 23
HP Recommended

Hello molybdenum,

Please follow the steps by clicking the below link.

Does not pick paper

or Copy paste the below URL in the browser ..

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02446494
Regards,
Jabzi

Help the community by marking this post .
Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution!
See a great post? Give it a Kudos!
I work for HP

Regards,
Jabzi

Give Kudos to say "thanks" by clicking on the "thumps Up icon" .

Click "Accept as Solution" if it solved your problem, so others can find it.
Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
HP Recommended

I did all of the things described on the site and in the video, including cleaning the print rollers and the pick up rollers (several times).  These things do not fix the problem. 

HP Recommended

Hello,

Please call HP Tech Support, as it seems to be a printer hardware issue.

If you are in US , the toll free # is 1-800-474-6836 .

If you are not in US , then log on to www.hp.com , at bottom-left corner there is a world map icon, click on it and then select the region you belong to, which would then provide support options for you for that region.
Regards,
Jabzi

Help the community by marking this post .
Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution!
See a great post? Give it a Kudos!
I work for HP

Regards,
Jabzi

Give Kudos to say "thanks" by clicking on the "thumps Up icon" .

Click "Accept as Solution" if it solved your problem, so others can find it.
Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
HP Recommended
Hi molybdenum,

I have exactly the same issue as yours with my printer of the same model and did also exactly as you did but to no avail. Just wondering if you have figured out the problem and would share it to me what you did to solve it.
HP Recommended

Hi molybdenum, I had same issue! I ended up fixing it like so: I figured there must be a point in the system where a gear or something is not making contact and thus the rollers wont turn. Sure enough when i looked closely, right by the top of the arm that lowers, there is a small black gear on the horizontal shaft that is supposed to make contact with the gear on the arm. In my case it has slided to the left and thus lost contact with the arm. I simply slided it to the right and bingo! Hope this helps, let me know if you win 😄 

HP Recommended

Hi Moon_Patrol.

Your advise is great.

I have the same problem with the rollers of my HP 6500A Plus.

Can you kindly share how exactly you managed to push that gear to the right?

Access to that point is impossible, unless you press the "Print Report" button so that the arm lower for 3 seconds.

Is this the time frame you used to push that gear to the right?

HP Recommended

Hi apomux, please refer to attached images for reference. Remove the top tray first to allow easier access. There is a shaft running along the front of the printer, just behind the first covering shroud. If you stick your hand upside down you can feel this shaft. Near the right hand side you will feel that there will be a gear on the shaft. You'll have to work with feel as you can't see anything...

201.JPG

Feel this gear with your finger, in my case I could slide it around on the shaft. There is a point on the shaft where there are little teeth that the gear slides in to. This is also the point where the gear connects with the feeding arm. In my case the inside of the gear stripped and it would rotate freely on the teeth on the shaft. What I had to do was to epoxy glue the gear onto the shaft in the right position. Please take great care if you need to do this as if the glue gets into any other components it could cause serious problems. What worked for me was to use the 'selfie' camera on my phone. I would position the phone in the printer so I could see the shaft and gear clearly. Please refer to image 2.

Here you can see the shaft and gear to the left. I slid the gear out of the way, then I applied a small amount of glue onto the shaft section where the little teeth are. It will help to try to rotate the shaft whilst applying the glue, to get the glue all around... I then slid the gear back onto that section. I used a match stick to apply the glue. This is all done using my phone camera to see underneath the plastic shroud.

201.JPG

I really hope this helps, let us know if this works or if you need more image referencing 🙂 I could also make a shot video if you really get stuck. Good luck!

HP Recommended

Hi Moon_Patrol and thanks for the detailed description.

I am now waiting for the glue to dry but I guess it should work out fine.

Fingers crossed that it will last at least until for another set of ink cartridges.

Here are some photos (I placed a mirror facing upwards on the paper tray to be able to see better), but applying the glue on the right spot was very tricky.

Thanks again for the help.

IMG_20151029_202502.jpgIMG_20151029_202502.jpg

HP Recommended

WOW!!!

Thank you so much!!!

I've been struggeling with this problem for 2 months now. Was about to buy another printer (since fixing it costs too much) and just found your detailed explanation and - it works!!!!

Thank you both guys for the photos, it helped me a lot and i'm really appreciate the effort to take photos and upload here.

Again - thank you! you definitely saved my printer.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.