Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Thank you very much for the detailed explanation to fix this problem. I could feel that loose gear, sliding on the shaft, but lacked the skill to do the necessary operation in that tight space, even using a mirror. I couldn't get my fingers in the right position to apply the glue in any controlled fashion.

I decided to cut a hole into the bottom tray to get easy access to the gear. I turned the printer upside down and did just that, using an electrical tool with a small cutting wheel (see att.).

Now I had easy access to the gear, to apply the glue, without dripping glue all over the place. I used Gorilla Superglue (with brush and nozzle), and applied that drop of glue with the brush (not nozzle). That worked fine without any drippings. 

I let it sit for 24 hrs, and now it works fine again. I didn't close that hole in the bottom tray. It is covered by the printing paper and doesn't impact the  printer function.

Thanks again for your expertise!

4 pictures attached

1DSC02604.JPG

2DSC02591.JPG

3DSC02607.JPG

4DSC02605.JPG

HP Recommended

Thank You, Thank You gears were out of place. Works fine now.

HP Recommended

IMG_2065.JPGMy 6500 OfficeJet did the same thing one day.  I had the stripped gear problem (Thanks HP for a plastic gear on a metal shaft) so I followed the same steps. (Thx Moonpatrol).  Not wanting to poke glue around the inside of my printer with my phone in there I made the job a bit easier by drilling a 3/4 hole in the bottom tray directly below where the gear is located.  I first put some duct tape over where the hole was to be drilled to catch any bits and debris.  Once I drilled the hole on slow speed due to plastic, the access was perfect.  Flashlight through the hole, glue on toothpick coming in the front onto the metal spline, then slid the gear over it being very careful not to get glue anywhere else.  As for the glue I used construction adhesive opting not to use epoxy as it is messing in tight spots like this and felt it was overkill.  Hope that helps others.  Picture above shows the gear and the glue (white stuff) properly applied.  Takes 24 hours but once it dries, it's permanent

HP Recommended
Thank you for the advice, this worked for me too!!! I looked inside when the printer was trying to load paper and I saw that this little arm drops down to try to push the paper up the back when printing. There are a bunch of rollers on that arm that weren't turning so I looked to find the nearest one that was turning and just reached in to see if I could slide it. Sure enough I was able to slide it so that it engaged the rest of the rollers. Thank you so much!
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.