Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Replaced with just purchased new (out-of-the-box) Cyan XL ink cartridge as prompted but still received error message to replace cartridge.  Message will not change no matter that I tried:

a. power printer off/on several times.

b. removed/returned all  four ink cartridges

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

For everyone who has this problem with the 8500 rejecting known good ink cartridges.  I finally found a solution from a third party.

(1)  Remove the ink cartridge that the printer is rejecting.  Look inside the printer ink cartridge well and see a small rectangular plastic button midway between the ink tube and the chip reader.  This plastic sensor is causing the printer to reject the cartridge.

(2)  Look at the ink cartridge on the mating side of the plastic button and see a small rubber bulb in the end of the ink cartridge.  The pressure in this rubber bulb is supposed to push on the plastic button in the printer. But for various reasons it does not set the sensor to “off”.

(3)  To correct the problem, place a small piece of stiff tape over the end of the ink cartridge to cover the rubber bulb.  DO NOT cover the ink tube or the sensor chip well.  The tape should be about three inches long and ¾ inch wide.  Use stiff tape like duct tape.  Not flexible table.  The objective is for the tape to increase the pressure the rubber bulb is supposed to impart on the plastic sensor button in the printer.

(4)  Reinsert the ink cartridge in the printer. Problem solved 98% of the time.  If not, there is something wrong with the sensor switch inside the printer and this solution will not work.

(5)  Good Luck.  Cheers!

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24
HP Recommended

Hi pan2wilks,

I see that you're having problems with your printer.  I would take a look at the document below.

Cartridge Error

Let me know how it goes. 

HP Recommended

The video presented with the link is nothing but simple user startup instructions and how to replace ink cartridges.  It's juvenile and too simplistic for solving this problem.  The text on the linked page is also worthless for solving this problem. This is a tech forum and the folks who come here are well versed in the simple tasks of printer startup, replacing ink cartridges and print heads.  Please give us real technical information:   What sensor or sensors cause the printer to reject a good ink cartridge?  How does the sensor(s) malfunction: Alignment, dirt or what?  How do we access the sensor to check for issues that cause it to reject a good ink cartridge?  Provide diagrams or access to service manuals so that the well capable among us can work through the issues ourselves.  Those of us who continue to experience recurring problems with HP printers and continue to be treated as dummies by the HP Tech forum are on our last legs with HP.  If I can’t solve this problem with my HP 9500 Pro rejecting good ink cartridges, then it is going in the trash and I will buy another brand.

HP Recommended

Hi Joe65

Are you using the latest FW? Occassionally you can get some debris in the cartridge contacts so it's worth giving them a clean.

Use the swab to remove any ink and debris from the gold-colored contacts on the cartridge.

1. Figure 12: Cartridge contacts
    Image: Cartridge contacts
    1 - Cartridge contacts
I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
HP Recommended

For everyone who has this problem with the 8500 rejecting known good ink cartridges.  I finally found a solution from a third party.

(1)  Remove the ink cartridge that the printer is rejecting.  Look inside the printer ink cartridge well and see a small rectangular plastic button midway between the ink tube and the chip reader.  This plastic sensor is causing the printer to reject the cartridge.

(2)  Look at the ink cartridge on the mating side of the plastic button and see a small rubber bulb in the end of the ink cartridge.  The pressure in this rubber bulb is supposed to push on the plastic button in the printer. But for various reasons it does not set the sensor to “off”.

(3)  To correct the problem, place a small piece of stiff tape over the end of the ink cartridge to cover the rubber bulb.  DO NOT cover the ink tube or the sensor chip well.  The tape should be about three inches long and ¾ inch wide.  Use stiff tape like duct tape.  Not flexible table.  The objective is for the tape to increase the pressure the rubber bulb is supposed to impart on the plastic sensor button in the printer.

(4)  Reinsert the ink cartridge in the printer. Problem solved 98% of the time.  If not, there is something wrong with the sensor switch inside the printer and this solution will not work.

(5)  Good Luck.  Cheers!

HP Recommended

Thanks Joe65

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
HP Recommended

I was really hoping this would work! My printer is qn 8600, and has the same problem. I've tried this on 2 different cartridges but it still won't work. I have a hard time believing that something that worked just fine until it ran out of ink, suddenly has a broken sensor. It's barely 2 yrs old.

HP Recommended

i have changed ink cartridges and computer stilling showing error message that ink is low and it will not print 

HP Recommended

I tried this on my 8600, but it didn't work... but my printer is now working. I pulled out all my ink cartridges and cleaned the ink recepticals in the cartridge well, then using a straightened paper clip and kleenex, poke it into the hole on the cartridge and cleaned it out until it didn't show any ink, replaced them all and after 5 minutes of ‘thinking’, ..it worked. Good thing, cuz I’d just about decided a hammer was my next solution.

HP Recommended

THANK YOU!!!!!! IT worked. I can't belive it took an outside vendor to figure it out. Think about all those printers people threw out. I hope someone at HP tech support is making note of this so they can help other customers instead of telling them to buy a new printer.  Note that I just used scotch tape wraped around the whole printer.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.