Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have the same problem.  Why  won't HP join in and offer advice?

HP Recommended

I also have the same problem. Exactly one month out of the 1 year warranty. I think it is time for a class action suit. HP obviously does not care. $300. plus ink per year is too much for a printer. Second piece of garbage with this track record. I'm done with HP. Plus all the time and hassles. Second piece of garbage with this track record. I'm done with HP. Obscene.

HP Recommended

I hope this post helps someone looking for a solution for this error message.  I have the HP Officejet 8600 Pro but the message is the same.  The problem with support these days is that no one takes the time to do good old fashioned troubleshooting because it takes time.  I ran out of black ink so I replaced it with a 750XL.  Well this is when the problems started.  I thought I could simply replace one cartridge.  Well not so fast.  I went to the local office supply store this evening and thought perhaps I should buy all the colors Cyan, Yellow and Magenta.  The printer said I only needed Magenta but I knew better.  These printers are extremely picky on having new and if I might say all similar cartridges.  Instead of bricking the unit or trying to replace anything I decided to put all new cartridges in the darn thing.  Well, I think you can figure out the rest.  I'm up and running but none of the original cartridges are in the printer at this point.  Each of these cartridges are new or should I say recycled but purchased new from the office supply store for a total of 130 plus dollars.  Yay!   

The moral to this story is replace all the cartridges and see if that works.  It did for me.  🙂

Update - 6-21-2014 - Another thing that I did was reseat the printer cartriges as well as the printer head several times. There are other posts to tutorials that will assist.  So essentially I did get this to work but I did not just replace the cartriges.  I also went through the basic troubleshooting steps as outlined in this thread.  If replacing cartridges doesn't work you should also try to reseat the printer head and do all the other troubleshooting steps. 

Thank you!

HP Recommended

I'm glad that solution worked for you, but I did the same and had no luck. Still wish my HP worked because I am not at all happy with the Epson I bought to replace it.

HP Recommended

[post edited due to location sharing]

[post edited due to solicitations]

HP Recommended

Yes replacing all the cartridges work.  The question is WHY do we have to spend >$100 to replace ALL the cartridges when only one cartridge is out of ink.  This too is my last HP product. 

HP Recommended

I too replaced all the cartridges, but unfortunately still have the same problem. Does anyone, including HP,  have any other ideas please?

HP Recommended

Yes, I am also among the frustrated. After reading all these messages, I foolishly replaced all the cartidges. Still failing. The printer (officejet pro 8600) is 15 months old.

HP Recommended

[post edited due to location sharing]

HP Recommended

I just bought and installed an HP8610. Everything went well until I got a message that one or more of my print cartridges was missing or damaged. First I tried reseating the  4 new print cartridges (M, Y, C and K), but got the same message. Then I pressed the ? next to the message and it said (1.) Reseat or replace the cartridges and (2.) Make sure the "cartridge latch" is pressed. I wondered where and what is the "cartridge latch"? So using a flashlight I looked back inside the printer when the door to the cartridge bay was open and the cartdriges were showing and saw a white lever beside the black cartridge. I decided that lever must be the "cartridge latch", so I raised and lowered that lever pressing it firmly in the closed position. Then I closed the door to the cartridge bay again and low and behold in a few moments the error message went away. The graphic for Copy, Scan, Fax came up on the screen and now the printer works. I hope it continues to work and that this message will help others with this problem.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.