Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

My husband recently purchased a HP Photosmart 5520 printer while overseas, he shipped in to me in the mail, and it keeps telling me that one or more of the ink cartledges are broken or missing and needs to be replaced, but when I lift open the access door the ink carriage will not move at all and I can't even get it to budge by using my hands, Please help?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

My cartridge was stuck completely to the right, couldnt get it to move at all. After much jiggling around and trying to pull it towards the left the carriage sort of popped down a little more inside to the right.  I tried to pull it to the left but it was still stuck like something was blocking it, and it popped back up when i pulled harder.  I messed with it to the point where the carriage popped back down, then I plugged the printer back in and it was working fine. I don't know what was wrong with it exactly but it seemed to fix it

View solution in original post

28 REPLIES 28
HP Recommended

Hi,

Please check if there is any paper stuck in between carriage, try connecting directly to a wall outlet

Please provide more details like from which country printer is purchased and where it is used as there will compatibility issues for cartridge.

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

--Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.
--Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
HP Recommended
I did check it there's no paper stuck I've done everything I know how, my husband is deployed right now so he purchased the printer I'm not really sure where it came from. And it is plugged into a wall outlet, it won't let me install the cd on my comp until I fix the cartridge problem, any help would be greatly appreciated
HP Recommended

Hi,

When the printer is turned on, try moving the carriage towards the center.

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

--Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.
--Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
HP Recommended
I can't get it to move at all,
HP Recommended

This carriage jam document should offer some help:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03241387

007OHMSS

I was a support engineer for HP.

If the advice resolved the situation, please mark it as a solution. Thank you.
HP Recommended

Hi,

I have a same problem. I purchased the printer in US and now carried it to India. It was running fine there. But when I first time tried to print something here, its showing carriage jam. I have checked no paper jam. The main probem is the carriage is not moving. Its like fixed at the right side. Unbale to move it. So the soultion given in the above sections does not apply at all. So, please suggest how to move the carriage.

Thanks,

HP Recommended

Hi Amritendu,

If the printer is showing the Carriage Jam error message, I would follow the steps in the Carriage Jam troubleshooting document.  Click Here 

If you don't think that is the right approach, can you give some more detail about the problem you are having?  That will help me know how to best help you.  Thanks.

Also, remember a click on the Kudos star to the left is a quick "Thanks" for a helpful post.

Please select the "Accept as Solution" button on the post that best answers your question.

I appreciate your input ! ___________________________________ _____

Thank You,
Rich
Expert
HP Recommended

Hi Rich,

Its showing carriage jam error. No paper was there. And I already followed the doument. The warranty just expired few days back. The carriage can't be moved manually at all. Its like fixed at the right side. Nothing mentioned in the document if that is the case.

SO YOU POINTED OUT FOR A HP SERVICE ?

HP Recommended

When you did the reset and re-plugged the power cord in the back of the printer, did you hear any movement in the printer?

Also, remember a click on the Kudos star to the left is a quick "Thanks" for a helpful post.

Please select the "Accept as Solution" button on the post that best answers your question.

I appreciate your input ! ___________________________________ _____

Thank You,
Rich
Expert
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.