Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Actually, Avericks is a beautiful environment.   It is HP's staunch refusal to support their software that is an unmitigated disaster.  I have been asking exactly the same question since october, 2013, and have only received mealy-mouthed answers, that do not work, and eventually HP declared the problem solved, even though this is clearly a bold-faced fib.

HP Recommended

My HP product is less than a year old, and there is still no solution. HP makes great RPN calculators, but their support for multifunctional printers is wonderful, if you ignore the multifunction part. OCR has been rendered useless.

HP Recommended
Yes, it seems to be impossible to get scanning working under Mavericks using latest hp software as this writing with All-In-One HP OfficeJet Pro 8600 plus
HP Recommended

Hello afischlin,

Since you have downloaded and installed the latest HP software for your Officejet 8600, and are still having scanning problems. Could you please confirm the problem for me. Is it still saving the scanned images completely black? Are you getting a particular error message?

Thank you.

I worked on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Scanning is only possible once after having restarted the printer as well as the Mac. Any further attempts to initiate a scan, e.g. by using Image Capture fails, because of "The overview scan fialed to complete". If I select document feeder as a source: "Failed to open a session on the device.". However, Printer Utility sees the printer fine. 

BTW: I have deinstalled and reinstalled the latest software twice. Since Uninstall does not properly remove all associated files, e.g. preferences are not removed, I have also made big efforts to delete all hidden preference or otherwise any files containing hp in their names on the entire machine. I have also tried to use only the minimum software by installing first only the hp software as provided by Apple (automatically done after Uninstall). Nothing seems to make a difference and it has become impossible to scan a second time something. The hp software seems to be total crap. Sorry to be so harsh, but I am a power user and have as in earlier years with earlier models of printers wasted hours trying to fix this. It is impossible to get scanning working again under Maverick. I would probably need to reinstall the entire operating system and then to install nothing in order to make scan working again. 

HP Recommended

Hi afischlin,

Thank you for the information. The first thing that I would suggest, because the software has been installed, and uninstalled several times. Is to complete a verify and repair disk permissions. I have included the document 'Disk Utility 12.x: Repair disk permissions'. Once the verify and repair disk permissions has been completed, please restart the Mac.

After the Mac has restarted, please try scanning again. If you are still not able to scan after this, I have included the document 'A 'Connection Error' or 'No Computer Detected' Error Message Displays during Scanning'. Please select the option with Mac 10.9, and follow through the steps.

To confirm have you tried a different connection type. For example if the printer is connected wireless, have you tried scanning with a USB cable connected?

Please let me know the outcome of these troubleshooting steps.

Regards.

I worked on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

I have already repaired the disk permissions several times.

Connecting with a USB cable is impossible for physical reasons and is no solution. What I need is a software that works.

I am fortunately currently not yet depending on Maverick Macs to be able to scan and from my wife's Maverick Air scanning still works. My main machine is a Mac OS X 10.6.8 from which fortunately all still works for me.

The Maverick machine, which is completely gone for scanning, is a new server that I am setting up. I could use it for scanning for a short while, at least intermittently. But then I tried to edit scan tasks to get all working more reliably. This is where everything started to go astray, i.e. edits of scan tasks got forgotten or some scan settings can't be edited anymore, not even in Image Capture,, etc.. Only then did I start to go through uninstall/reinstall cycles, all as described at http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00896190 (except for the USB cable variant). Moreover, please remember, I can currently scan fine after a restart of all involved devices, but only once. So it is a software problem and I do not want to waste more time with USB cables that are of no use in the final wanted setup. I wish to get the wanted solution working, nothing else.

It seems to be pretty clear: The problem is with the hp software. Besides, in my experience hp driver software has never seemed to be able to properly setup or maintain a 1:n relationship between one printer and several client Macs on the same LAN to which to scan to. Since many years this has never worked in any of the hp driver software for three All-In-One printer models I have been using in the past. What I am seeing here is therefore not particularly surprising me. The only thing new is that all scanning has become impossible from a particular Mac, even if I go through a uninstall/reinstall cycle. So far, under Maverick, the hp driver software is the worst of all I had the "great pleasure" to struggle with in the last 12 years or so.

HP Recommended

@Lil_Lisa27 

HP Recommended

Hi afischlin,

The reason why I was asking about the USB connection, is to rule out a connection issue. This will help you to determine exactly why you are getting the error message, and it only working once after a full power cycle. I was not offering this step as a solution.

If the software is working on another Mavericks Air (your wife's), this proves that there is not an issue with the HP's software for Mavericks. As the software is the same for your wife's Mac Air, and this Mac.

Please try the USB connection, so that it can be ruled out.

Thank you.

I worked on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

My HP PhotoSmart C4780 does not scan after I installed Mac OS X 10.9.1.  It prints and copies, but I receive an error message when I try to scan.  Any suggestions?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.