Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Color LaserJet Pro MFP 277dw
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I'm having trouble printing using a wireless connection. I'm wondering if the host name is important. When I install manually, I get the following informationn:

Model Name is correct

IP address is 192.168.1.143

Hardware address is 184F3293199C

Host Name is NPIC62308

I usnderstand everything except the host name.  Shouldn't it relate to the router?  When I check the port settings, the specific IP address doesn't show up, just the host name. This doesn't make sense to me; what I want to see is the ip address.

Is this important or am I concerned about nothing?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
You put the IP address of the printer in the URL bar of a browser.

With HP printers you often get a warning that says its an unsecured site because the printer doesn't have a certificate so click OK to continue if that happens to you.

If my post resolves your issue please click the accepted as solution button under it.

To thank a Tech for a post click the thumbs up button under the post.

You can even click both buttons. . .

If my post resolves your issue please click the accepted as solution button under it.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended
The Host Name is from the printer, the NPI might stand for Network Printer Interface and the numbers are the second half of the MAC Addresss.

You can ping devices by host name and in some cases a driver might use a Host Name instead of an IP Address.

When printing based on Host Name the printer can use DHCP since the driver isn't looking for a specific IP Address.

You can view and change the hostname in the printer embedded web server, but then you would have to reload the driver or create a new port.

HP Recommended

For future reference, where do I find the printer embedded web server, and how do I access it?

HP Recommended
You put the IP address of the printer in the URL bar of a browser.

With HP printers you often get a warning that says its an unsecured site because the printer doesn't have a certificate so click OK to continue if that happens to you.

HP Recommended

I checked the web server but changing the host name wasn't an option.

Thanks for your help.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.