Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

My HP 8600 printer won't connect to the printer so I can print.

I had this problem with my HP6500.  I assumed the bugs would be worked out, but it appears it is not the case.

I don't want to go to the hassle of returning the printer - but I am tired of dealing with this once again.

It has not printed since I got it Christmas day !

I have a Cisco Linksy E 1200.  Could this be the problem ?

HP Recommended
The Cisco Linksy E 1200 is my router.
HP Recommended
Oops. Thats supposed to be my printer wont print from my computer.
HP Recommended

Good luck with that.    I have been fighting with my 6500 for a year now.   It seems to have a mind of it's own when it comes to printing and I have never gotten the help I need to get it working properly.   I never know if it will print or not.  I have taken to turning the printer off along with my router.   Turning the router on first and then the printer.   Sometimes this works, sometimes it doesn't.    I hope you figure this out and share it with the rest of us if you do.   Happy New Year.

HP Recommended
@ dusty 96- I will need a little more information in order to help out. Are there any error messages on the printer? When it was connected prior to the holiday and printing, did it have a static IP? Which Officejet 8600 do you own? There are five different models. What is the OS of the computer that you are using with the printer?
I am a former employee of HP...
How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved?
HP Recommended

There are no error messages.  The scanner icon at the bottom of my computer screen has an x on it.    I did not own it prior to Christmas day.  I took the setting off of "automatic settings" and put in the same ip address as my computer had when it wouldn't work the first time.  It did not work after that either.  I own the HP Officejet Pro All In One 8600.

I am using Firefox with Windows  XP.

Please be more specific when writing.  I don't know most terms.  I just happened to know what OS was.  Im not real tech savvy.

Thanks

HP Recommended
shirlzz1,
I am an IT technician. any setting on his computer is irrelevant,
including OS. I have had Windows XP, Vista, 7and 8, Linux Mint, Ubuntu, Fedora, Gentoo, OpenSuse, and Arch Linux all utilising this printer and it still goes offline for all of them. it's not the router either, I originally had a linksys running my WiFi network on original firmware, failed regardless of static or not. I installed dd-wrt custom firmware, no change. I bought a new high end router Netgear N600, and again regardless of settings still failed.

the issue is the printer, nothing but the printer and its firmware. if you power cycle it, it comes back online. if you go into settings, disable WiFi and then reenable it, it comes back online. after a year dealing with it, I'm now used to it, but for a high end home office printer, I'm certainly not happy with the situation and will not be buying another HP WiFi printer when it's time for an upgrade unless this gets sorted.
HP Recommended

I will not be buying another HP printer either after fighting with mine for a year now also.    Too bad all of these people are having the same issue and no one is coming up with a solution.

HP Recommended
@shirlzz1 - @rekrapg is absolutely correct, and of you go through the last THREE pages of postings on this same error you'll see that. It's the PRINTER that goes to sleep, loses its network connection, and then doesn't re-acquire it.

It's been happening for the last year for me as well, and HP's lack of interest in fixing it has made me consider other printer manufacturers in the future as well.
HP Recommended

@ dusty96- I would set a static IP in the EWS (embedded web server) for the printer to see if that will help fix the sleep error mode. One can access this by taking the current printers IP address and typing it into a browser. You can get your IP address, Subnet mask and default Gateway from the network configuration page which you can get that report from the printer's front panel by following this path: tap the Setup icon, then Reports>>Network configuration page.

Above is a video that will show one how to set up a static IP on a computer with windows XP as the operating system. I hope this helps dusty96

I am a former employee of HP...
How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved?
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.