Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

From my experience this is not a design flaw. It's done according to a plan so you will  use more ink. That's where the money is in the printing game. Thus, in my case, I have my printer set to print only with black ink and do almost no color printing, at least not intentionally. Yet, the printer is constantly calling for replacing color cartridges, and you can't get around it. Occasionally you see a pop up that says print in black ink only, but that goes away. I've been using HP for a long time, but I think this experiece makes me want to switch to a company that makes, let's say, an ethical printer.

HP Recommended

HP and other printer manufacturers have different printer technologies for different needs.  For inkjet printers:

• Some have printheads built into the ink cartridges (IPH).  These printers can typically print with one or more of the colors completely empty, or even with color or black (but not both) cartridges removed. The Officejet 8040 is an example of this type of printer.
    • Other printers have separate ink supplies and replaceable printheads.  An example would be the Officejet 8600 printer.  The printhead in these printers can be replaced if they are damaged by running the printhead with colors out.  Some of these printers will allow printing with a color out, other will not.  If the printer is run without ink in one or more colors the printer may be damaged, but the user may be able to recover without having to send the printer for service.
    • Other printers have permanent printheads.  To run these without some ink in all the colors would risk causing damage to the printhead due to clogs, air ingested in the printhead or burned out printhead firing resistors. The Photosmart 3210 is an example of this type of printer. For printers with fixed printheads this could require service to get the printer to print properly again when the ink is finally replaced.  

The document here describes how ink is used.  While the document is written for HP Inkjet printers the same principles apply to inkjet printers from other manufacturers.When printing, even in black only, the color printheads are waving around in the air and would dry out if there is not any ink available to keep the nozzles from clogging.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended
Thank you very much for this information.
HP Recommended
Can photosmart 6510 B211a color printer change to printing black only?
HP Recommended

@Alicehsu wrote:
Can photosmart 6510 B211a color printer change to printing black only?

The Photosmart 6510 has permanant printheads which would be damaged if one or more colors were allowed to run dry.  I would expect the printer would require both color and black inks to be present to allow printing, even in black only.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

i found the answer sorry HP for doughting you here is how to print black only ink 

HP BLACK ONLY PRINTING:-

go to hp folder 

then pick 

. SOLUTIONS CENTRE

. PRINTER SETTINGS

, COLOR OPTIONS

, PRINT GRAYSCALE - THEN SELECT BLACK ONLY in drop down box

then you can print in black only 

MY NAMES john and i was not happy and now i am

Spoiler

LOL 

i have HP PHOTOSMART 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.