Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Wrong.  If one or more, but not all, cartridges are empty, the All-In-One will not print.  

It's a money-grubbing, greedy tactic on the part of HP because I've had other makes of all-in-ones which

print fine if one or more, but not all, of the cartridges are empty.

I've been left high and dry, unable to print, with HP many times with a professional deadline looming.

And if you're working in the middle of the night and thus are unable to obtain ink, or if you run out of ink on any single cartridge in the daytime and your schedule does not allow traipsing to the store to buy HP ink, this can

be tragic.

This is why I hate HP all-in-one printers.

HP Recommended

PEOPLE THIS IS HP WAY OF SREWING US. THINK ABOUT ITBLACK IS BLACK..THERE IS NO RESON THE PRINTER SHOULD NOT PRINT BLACK IF THE OTHERS ARE EMPTY HP WANTS U TO BUY MORE INK..THATS WAY I DONT USE HP FOR ANYTHING ANY MORE..BUY ANY OTHER PRINTER AND THEY DONT DO THAT..

HP Recommended

Does the requirement for having both black and color ink cartridges installed with adequate ink in both of them in order to print apply to all All-in-One series printers?  I have a 5600 series version.

HP Recommended
@ Pitts Is this the Officejet 5600 series printer? If the printer takes individual ink cartridges (IIC), where the cartridges have separate colors for magenta, cyan and yellow, all the cartridges must be installed to keep the printhead from drying out and getting damaged. Most printers that have integrated print heads (IPH), which are cartridges that are just the 2 consisting of black and tri-color can print in what is known as back up or reserve mode. To test if a printer with IPH cartridges are able to do reserve mode, remove empty cartridge and attempt to print a test page. Here is a document on further reading for the many uses of ink in inkjet printers. It explains the others ways that ink is used such as helping to maintain printhead health. I also site it as a source for the statement above on the reserve mode capabilities for some of the IPH printhead. Here is that link: http://goo.gl/EB1dn.
I am a former employee of HP...
How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved?
HP Recommended

Thanks for the feedback and document Shirlzz1.  I have an HP 5610 which has the single color ink cartridge (IPH I guess it is called).  So, maybe we have the capability to print B&W with the black ink cartridge only.  I will have to check.

HP Recommended
No worries! Give it a try and post back if you need anything else! I like to try and help!
HP Recommended

I have the same problem. I use very little color. When I purchased the product, was told it could be programmed to use black ink only. This is unacceptable. I am not interested in supporting your ink market. I want a printer that will use only a reasonable amount of ink. HP did/does not correctly represent this product. {Personal Information Removed}

HP Recommended
Depending on the printer, there may be a setting in printing preference that one can go in under the program they are printing from and when looking at gray-scale options, black ink only may be available. But without knowing the printer's make and model it would be hard to state for certain. The pathway is usually, File>>Print>>Print Properties/Preferences>>Paper Quality Tab and under they there should be Grayscale options and Black ink only, if available should be listed there.

One can also go to the control panel and go to Devices and Printers and right click on the printer and set the printer settings for the machine, but again the pathway can vary based on the machine and the computer's Operating system.
HP Recommended

I have an Office Jet 6700 Premium. I rarely print in color, yet got a message today to replace the yellow and magenta cartridges. I cannot print in Black Only. It continues to give me the replace color cartridge message, even when in Printer Properties I change to Black Only. I've also tried draft mode; nothing works. Do I have to replace the color cartridges to print in B&W?? This is very frustrating, costly and time consuming.

HP Recommended

@caicosdad- to answer your question, Yes you have to replace the inks in order to print, even in black ink only. Your printer takes individual ink cartridges (IIC) and those printers require all inks to be installed to avoid damage to the printheads. Below is a link that shows the different ways that ink is used in a printer besides just for printing output. It will also cover some more ground on IIC cartridges: http://goo.gl/EB1dn.

I am also quoting the following statement from that above referenced link : "For users who wish to print utilizing just black ink (despite the reduced print quality), many HP printers offer options. For example, a driver color setting (by selecting "print in gray scale with the black cartridge only" in printing preferences) specifies printing using only black ink. In addition, many IPH printers can operate in "reserve mode," which allows the user to continue to print with just the black cartridge when the color cartridge is removed or not installed. In HP IIC systems, all supplies are required to be installed in the printer for the printer to function."

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.