Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I had a computer configured to use my scanner. It's now gone, never to return. How do I remove it from the list?

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

I had a similar issue after reinstalling windows and renaming my computer.  The old computer name still showed up in the drop down list when doing a scan to computer.

My printer is setup through wi-fi.  I'm running Windows Vista 32-bit.

I have all the latest HP drivers and software installed for this printer.

To resolve this issue, I did the following:

1. On the printer, go to Setup --> Tools --> Restore Factory Defaults (you will have to setup your wireless connection again - step 3)

2. Turn Off the printer

3. Turn On the printer and setup wireless settings

4. Open up the HP Officejet Pro 8600 application (from Start menu --> All Programs --> HP --> HP Officejet Pro 8600 --> HP Officejet Pro 8600

5. Double-click "Scanner Actions"

6. Double-click "Manage Scan to Computer"

7. Click "Enable" to allow Scan to Computer and you may also click on the checkbox - Automatically start Scan to Computer when I log on to Windows
8. On the printer, go to Scan --> Computer

9. Verify the old computer name is gone

HP Recommended

Can someone answer this question?  Restoring to factory defaults is not acceptable.  I have several systems on my home network and I am not setting everything back up just so I can remove one or two old computers from the list.

HP Recommended
Did anyone ever find a solution to this?
HP Recommended

Hi CapoNilknarf,

I don't believe there was a solution provided on this thread, so hopefully I can help out with this situation Smiley Happy

To get a particular computer to stop showing up on the list of available computers on the printer, you need to uninstall the HP software for that printer from the computer you'd like to no longer be visible. Once the software is remove the printer no longer has the means to communicate with the computer.

You can remove the HP software by following this Uninstalling the Printer Software document, and if you're using Windows, you can also use the HP Print and Scan Doctor to uninstall the printer once you've gone through either Fix Printing or Fix Scanning and get to the below end screen.

PSDRUninstallReinstallOption.jpg

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns Smiley Happy Have a great day!

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to thank me for responding! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post resolved your issue, as it will help others find the solution faster!

**MissTeriLynn**
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Thank you, MissTeriLynn

That sounds like a great solution if you still have the computer you are trying to remove from the printer list.

Is there a way to remove the computer from the list if you no longer have the computer without doing a factory reset as suggested above?

Thank you for your help.

HP Recommended

I'm having exactly the same issue, why is it so difficult to remove the computer from the list?

Please someone from HP provide a solution that doesn't require restoring the computer back to factory as that's 

not  exceptable.

HP Recommended

i had the same issue

i powered the printer off and back on. It cleared the scan to list of all computers that were not on the network.

HP Recommended

Thanks that worked for me! I power cycled it through the browser interface and then disabled and re-enabled scan to computer on my current PC to get the printer to pick it up again and the rest are gone!

HP Recommended

Thank You!!

This is 16 months after you posted your solution....  It is STILL helpful!

Reminds me of the old addage:

- If it wont start, plug it in

- If it's on and not working, unplug it and plug it back in

(The parallel to the mechanical one that says:  If it's supposed to move and doesn't, apply WD-40.  If it isn't supposed to move and it does, apply Duct Tape)

Again,

Thanks....

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.