Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

My Officejet 6500 e709n seemed to run out of ink last week.  I knew the ink was low.  I replaced the black ink cartridge and immediately got an error message about the printhead being incompatible or damaged.  I'll add that my color cartidges have been empty for some time.  Does totally running out of ink damage the printhead?  How else might it become damaged? 

(Windows 7 Home Premium)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Replacing cartridges should not effect the printhead. Just make sure that you replaced the cartridges when you know its running out of ink dont keep it dry for a long time.

if your printhead is in warranty you dont have to pay for a new printhead. Call technical support once before you buy a printhead.

Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
(Although I am employed by HP, I am speaking for myself and not for HP)

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended
Its not damaged yet. Replace all the cartridges which are out of ink. And also call hp technical support if your printhead is still in warranty you might get the printhead with the cartridges too.

HP Recommended

I should have mentioned that I did the troubleshooting steps mentioned in the manual and then called HP and went through a few more troubleshooting steps, including  the 3 different kinds of resets.  I also cleaned the printhead, which was not very dirty since this was only the 3rd ink cartridge that I had ever installed.  I was told by the HP support line person that a replacement printhead is not available and that I should just buy new equipment.  

HP Recommended
I am sorry i didnt know about that part. I would suggest you please call our technical support again and check if the printhead is available.

HP Recommended

Hi, have you also tried cleaning the printer carriage contacts?

Figure 8: Clean contacts inside product
  • Wipe the area dry with a dry lint-free cloth before proceeding to the next step.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01661383

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
HP Recommended

I'll try a new printhead.  Once I get a new one I want to avoid this situation again.  Any idea how printheads become damaged in the first place?  Do I need to make sure that I never run out of all colors of ink at the same time?  Can replacing an ink cartridge somehow damage the printhead? 

HP Recommended

Yes, when i called HP I was told to clean the contacts with a damp, lint-free cloth.  I don't know if she told me to wipe downward though, so I doubt that I did it that way.  I didn't rub hard, though.  It seemed pretty clean already.

HP Recommended

Replacing cartridges should not effect the printhead. Just make sure that you replaced the cartridges when you know its running out of ink dont keep it dry for a long time.

if your printhead is in warranty you dont have to pay for a new printhead. Call technical support once before you buy a printhead.

HP Recommended

My printhead was past warranty when I bought the printer new from HP.  Maybe in that case the warranty period gets extended until the end of the warranty of the printer?  Either way, this didn't happen until a year and a month after the purchase of the printer, so it wasn't under warranty.  I bought a new printhead from HP and installed it.  I had to go through the setup process again.  That solved it!  I cleaned the old printhead some more and tried reinstalling it and it just doesn't work.  It was indeed damaged.  I don't know how it got that way, but it's damaged. 

HP Recommended

This just happened to my printer, too.  I went through the steps of cleaning the printhead and then called Tech Support.  I was told there were no replacement printheads available and my only option is to purchase a new printer.  Not happy.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.