Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Printer: HP Officejet 6500A E710n-z All-in-one

No error message

The printer orientation on my printer is off. I printed a PDF document, and changed the pritner orientation in the PDF print window, from portrait to landscape. (To be clear: I did NOT click "preferences" THEN change portrait to landscape. It was on the first print window that comes up, where you can select number of copies, print range, etc.) Now everything is printing landscape. I've tried checking the print orientation in the "Preferences" window, and that says Portrait. I've tried printing from a different program (MS Word), and it's still printing landscape. When I select "Landscape" from the print window in Word, it prints portrait.

I know the print orientation settings are off somewhere, but I can't figure out where. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hello Cheryl2710

Have you checked Devices and Printers in the Control Panel to see if the printer is set to Landscape there? You may also want to toggle the option there to see if the issue is resolved. Something else while a bit more troublesome would be re-installing the printer drivers. I think the strangest part was that "Landscape" in word prints "Portrait". Let me know if anything changes.

Officejet 6500A Software

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" to those that help solve your problems.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.
HP Recommended

Travis_C,

Thanks for the reply. I tried toggling the landscape/portrait option a few times, with no result. I did go through the control panel to access the printer's options. I know the printer options can mess with the options you select in the program - I've had it happen before (on a different printer), so I checked there first.

(It used to be that (on other printers), concerning settings in the program and the printer's settings, portrait + portrait = portrait, portrait + landscape = landscape, and landscape + landscape = portrait. Since I've learned this formula the hard way before, that was the first thing I checked)

Other things started going haywire with the printer: it started giving me loss of connection errors while I was scanning or printing, but the problems were intermittent. (I would be in the middle of scanning multiple documents through the auto-feeder, and it would scan one, say there's a connection problem for the next, then scan the third one.)

I checked all the connections to make sure none had become disconnected , then I turned off the printer, restarted my computer, then retstarted the printer. It seemed to have solved both the orientation problem and the connection problem for now. I'd really like to prevent this in the future (I wasted quite a bit of paper and ink chasing down this "ghost" problem), so any recommendations you have would be greatly appreciated. This printer is only about a month old, so I'm really hoping this is not the beginning of bigger issues.

Thanks so much for your help!

HP Recommended

Hi Cheryl2710,

Glad to hear the restart of the system resolved the issues. If you happen to have this happen again check to see if you have the same issue on a different computer before you do the restart procedure.

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
HP Recommended

Hi. I have this problem too and am on a Mc (OS10.7.5). How do I change the orientation when printing off the web please?

HP Recommended

Hi Andy_the_bear,

You may need to click the button to show more details, and then you can change the orientation of the print job.

Screen Shot 2013-06-04 at 6.56.25 AM.png

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

Hi

Many thanks for that. Unfortunately I do not see that standard print window when I print off the web. I see this instead:

Print screen.jpg

Any thoughts?

HP Recommended

Hi Andy_the_bear,

You need to switch to layout where it says firefox, and then you can set your settings. The other option would be to use Safari when printing from the web.

Screen Shot 2013-06-04 at 9.05.02 AM.png

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

Bear with me, I am a technically challenged senior....  I recently changed printer from portrait to landscape in

in order to print from the Internet without cutting off right hand margin of doctuments. Now I want to print doctuments from my Word files and can't seem to find the right place to do this. Please help me. I gave up yesterday after wasting pages and pages of paper trying to correct the situation. Many thanks for your help.

Tcha

HP Recommended

Hi Tcha,

You will need to change the oreintation from within Word prior to printing the document.

Screen Shot 2013-07-23 at 7.42.09 AM.png

I am an HP employee.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.