Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Computer is iMac 9,1.

Printer is HP Officejet Pro 8500 Premier Model A909n

Operating system is ?

I am trying to print a Microsoft Word for Mac document on vellum.  

I get an error message that "paper size or type is incorrect."

I am using 8 1/2" x 11" vellum.  

When I click on the "Copies & Pages" drop down from the Print Screen, none of the options show vellum as an option.  

I have tried clicking on the "other paper" options but none have worked yet.  

Help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Dear MBJustice:

I was just about to give up.   I was almost defeated.  I can print on 110 lb. cardstock but not on vellum.  This poor vellum sheet has been rejected more times than a 1st time home buyer in a tight credit market.  

But then - success!  There is NO setting on an HP Officejet Pro 8500 Premier that will print on vellum.  I  tried them all.

You have to trick this persnickety printer by glue the feeding edge of the vellum to a sheet of regular printer paper.  Set the printer for "fast draft" and - presto magic-o -  it prints! 

When our house is hit by lightning this summer, and we have to replace this printer, I will find one that can print on vellum.  Problem solved!

Thank you for your help!  

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

First make sure that you have the right Printer, paper size and orientation selected under File/Page Setup.  Then make sure that Automatic isn't selected under Media type in the priver driver dialog box.  You may need to create a custom media size if you are still getting a media size error. 

HP Recommended

Dear MBJustice:

Thank you for the quick response!

I have no problem printing the document on regular printer paper so the paper size and orientation so I don't think I need to select a custom media size.  And I am using 81/2" by 11" vellum.  

Do you have any other ideas?  (I am not all that "tech savvy" so small words help!)

Katy

HP Recommended

Hi,

Logic doesn't always apply in tech support. 😉  I've seen printers have issues with a particular media and when we have the user create a custom size, it no longer rejects it.  I don't believe this particular product has a specific media type available for Vellum, so make sure you have a specific heavyweight media selected in the driver dialog and give it a try.  If it rejects it you might have to try several to find one that works.  If it continues to tell you it is the wrong size, try the custom media size option. 

HP Recommended

Dear MBJustice:

I was just about to give up.   I was almost defeated.  I can print on 110 lb. cardstock but not on vellum.  This poor vellum sheet has been rejected more times than a 1st time home buyer in a tight credit market.  

But then - success!  There is NO setting on an HP Officejet Pro 8500 Premier that will print on vellum.  I  tried them all.

You have to trick this persnickety printer by glue the feeding edge of the vellum to a sheet of regular printer paper.  Set the printer for "fast draft" and - presto magic-o -  it prints! 

When our house is hit by lightning this summer, and we have to replace this printer, I will find one that can print on vellum.  Problem solved!

Thank you for your help!  

HP Recommended

Hi. Did you find a good printer for printing on Vellum? Cheers.

HP Recommended

A few tricks I've learned:  Inkjet multifunction C7800?

ALWAYS keep an extra piece of vellum underneath the pile in the paper tray; if not, it inevitably misfeeds.  

Print one page at a time.

Turn off "automatic" feed and specify the tray

Use "normal" not "best" quality

Clean printheads occasionally with command from printer.  

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.