Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Photosmart 5520
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I don't have a desktop icon for scanning and can only scan using the touch panel on the printer. How can I scan to pdf?
And, how can I get a desktop icon. There's no scan.exe anywhere that I can find.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi,

Soundd like you have NOT installed printer software and drivers to your computer. Please download and install the following package to your computer:

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/COL42577/mp-108807-3/PS5520_1315-1.exe

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

@MeganT

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

Something wierd must be happening recently in Win10 because only this week, both my Win10 desktops quit working with my HP 8620 printer -- clicking the shorcut on the desktop prompted me to install a printer.  And, this only worked on one desktop.

On the other, I had to remove the HP software (and that required inserting the original Printer CD!) and completely reinstall the HP software from scratch.

And, unfortunately, this last procedure was the ONLY way I was able to restore the printer desktop shortcut on the second PC.

I'm afraid that you might have to do the same -- uninstall using the CD, and reinstall from scratch.

Here is the link to the software for your printer:  https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-photosmart-5520-e-all-in-one-printer-series/5157...

You should download the Full Feature Software for Win10 so that you have it handy to reinstall it.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

I've recently downloaded the latest updates and still have no icon on my desktop.

I downloaded the Scan and Print Doctor, did the test scan and had the scanning window open on the computer so I could choose pdf, which was great. But still need to see ir when I scan so I can save where I want.

Very frustrating!

HP Recommended

Thank you.

I have downloaded the latest software, but still no icon. I'll have to see if I can dig out the installation CD.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.