Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I can't remove the ink cartridges in either printer. It looks like the little flat plastic plate that sits directly in front of the installed cartridges, is sitting too high and blocks the inks from being removed.  I think the plastic plate should probably be lowering itself automatically, when the cartridges move to the right and stop for easy removal...right? How can I fix that?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

OK, sorry I could not help.  

The service station is the assembly on the right, the capping station and plate that block access to the cartridges are all part of that mechanism.  If the plate is not moving out of the way the service station mechanism is not operating properly.

Similarily, if there is a carriage jam message it is an indication that the carriage is not moving correctly, or that the sensor that detects carriage movement is not operating.  In the latter case the carriage would likely slam to the edge of the printer, that seems to not be the case so it is likely related to a blocked movement of the carriage.  This may be caused by a blocked service station.

At any rate, I will not waste your time with any further discussion in this thread.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Is the printer turned on and ready to print?  The parking station on the right has caps to prevent the printheads from drying out in storage.  These should be lowered out of the way when the lid is open, but only if the printer is turned on and ready.

The document here shows how to change the cartridges in your Photosmart c5580, for the c5280 see the similar document here.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Yes, it's plugged in. But ever since the little plastic plate in front of the inks has stopped lowering? Not only can't I remove the ink carts...but it's also begun saying "carriage jam", which I'm interpretting to mean "cartridge jam". And PLEASE...no more posting those dumb HP how-to videos. Been there, done that 100 times already.

It's clearly the PLASTIC PLATE directly in front of the installed inks, that will not drop down. I know this because I bought an identical working printer only yesterday, off of Craig's LIst. And the plastic plate on this newer one, lowers for easy cartridge removal. Not so, with my other printer. 

However, I do thank you for your reply. Just that I can't find ANY posts, ANYWHERE...that addresses that little plastic plate being stuck too high.

HP Recommended

The carriage is the thing that is holding the cartridges.  If the carriage is jammed it may prevent the service station caps from being moved out of the way.  The document here may help address a carriage jam - ignore the video portion if you wish.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended

Oh my gosh. The carriage is NOT jammed. It moves smoothly, as it should. Plus, there's absolutely NO paper inside anywhere, either. Perhaps, I need to be clearer. THE DARNED PLATE IN FRONT OF THE INSTALLED INKS IS STUCK UP TOO HIGH TO REMOVE THE INK CARTRIDGES. That's the ONLY thing  I was asking about and trying to get a fix for. One of my 2 identical c5280 printers (the one that works perfectly) automatically lowers the plate. The printer that's screwed up, does NOT lower the plate. Simple.

But thank you again for your reply. I've been working on this for the past 4 hours, and have tried EVERYTHING suggested by most everyone. It's the dumb plate that's THE problem....

HP Recommended

Sorry, I misunderstood your statement "but it's also begun saying 'carriage jam'" to mean you were getting a carriage jam message on the printer.  Let's back up a step or two:

• Will the printer print a test page properly?  
  • If not, does it at least go through the motions of printing, but perhaps the page is blank due to an empty cartridge?
  • If not, does the carriage slam to the side?
  • Are there any error messages on the printer or the computer?
  • I should probably ask:  are you using some third party continous ink system?

If the problem is a jammed service station the following may help: turn on the printer and send a print job.  While the printhead is near the center disconnect the power plug and USB cable (if used).  Now reach into the service station area and gently move the sled that holds the rubber caps and wipers.  Push gently but firmly, there is a small motor and a high gear ratio that must be overcome.  Move it just a bit to make sure the service station is not stuck, then close the lid and plug the printer back in.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended

1.) No...it will not print a test page. I can't even get that far with the "Carriage Jam" message continually showing up.

2.) The carriage does not slam to the side. It merely slides to the side nicely, as it should.

3.) No error message on my PC. Just on the printer screen.

4.) The carts inside are approx half-full, and were working just fine when previously installed in my working printer.

5. The service station is NOT stuck.

One last time....I'm ONLY looking for info on the plastic plate in front of the installed inks, and why it won't lower like the plastic plate in my other identical printer, which operates perfectly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If someone has a remedy/explanation for THAT? Great!

Please. NO need to offer any more advice, unless it specifically addresses the plastic plate and why it won't lower enuf' for me to remove the inks currently installed. Thanks anyway.

HP Recommended

OK, sorry I could not help.  

The service station is the assembly on the right, the capping station and plate that block access to the cartridges are all part of that mechanism.  If the plate is not moving out of the way the service station mechanism is not operating properly.

Similarily, if there is a carriage jam message it is an indication that the carriage is not moving correctly, or that the sensor that detects carriage movement is not operating.  In the latter case the carriage would likely slam to the edge of the printer, that seems to not be the case so it is likely related to a blocked movement of the carriage.  This may be caused by a blocked service station.

At any rate, I will not waste your time with any further discussion in this thread.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended

I apologize for being crabby, Bob. Altho' I tried pushing the service station once, as you suggested....I had no luck. But just now, I decided to try again, since you seem pretty smart. Ultimately, I WAS able to push it a bit further back than the first time, which ultimately lowered the plate & finally allowed me to remove my inks. Whew.

Now that the service station has been pushed back, however....it just sorta' stays stuck there when I power up the printer and it goes thru it's normal motions.  I cannot manually move the service station either, even with the carriage sled stopped in the middle. The front plate which previously was preventing me from removing the ink carts, now appears to be permanently lowered (without the service station holding it up anymore)....which is honestly fine. I give up. It's off to the reclycling center, I go.

The "Carriage Jam" message remains, but at least I got my inks out. That, in & of itself...was aggrevating me. But no longer....so thank you for that. : ) 

HP Recommended

My C5280 has the same issue.  The bottom of the service station was clogged with dried ink. After cleaning it with warm water now the station carriage does not slide because the driver gear is broken.  There is a black gear assembly on the right side of the station. The center gear is fixed to the driving axis; the bottom one drives the station carriage forwards or backwards, and the top gear drives a cardioid wheel which raises or lowers the printhead block when it is over the station. The center gear is the broken one.  I hope to find a spare service station that includes the gear assembly.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.