Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Officejet Pro 8620

I moved my printer to another area of the house. I thought it was turned off when I unplugged it. 

When plugged in at the new location, I get an "Improper Shutdown" message. 

When I press OK, the screen goes blank, then repeats the improper shutdown message over & over.

I have unplugged again, waited, plugged back in. Same thing.

Please help.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hello @laurgam,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!

I would like to assist you today with resolving the 'Improper Shutdown' message that you're getting on the front panel of your HP Officejet Pro 8620 e-All-in-One Printer. Normally when you see an 'Improper Shutdown' message it is because the printer was in an error state when you turned the printer OFF, or if you turned your printer OFF by pulling the power cable out instead of hitting the power button on your printer. The message itself is generally a warning that an 'Improper Shutdown' occured. It should not cause you any issues with using the actual machine. However, in your specific case if your printer is repeating the 'Improper Shutdown' message and the screen is going blank, there may be a programming issue or power issue occuring with your product. To identify and resolve this issue can I please have you follow the steps below.

Step 1: Check Power:

Please ensure that the power cable for your printer is plugged directly into a wall outlet. Power strips and surge protectors can cause HP Printers not to respond properly. Once your HP Officejet is plugged directly into a wall outlet please turn your printer ON to verify if your machine returns to a normal ready state.

Should the issue persist, please proceed to the next step.

Step 2: Power Reset:

1. Turn your printer ON
  2. With the printer ON disconnect the power cable from the rear of the printer
  3. Leave the power cable disconnected for 30 seconds
  4. After 30 seconds plug the power cable back in
  5. Your printer should start back up on its own. It would be normal to see an 'Improper Shutdown' message. But immediately afterwards your printer should remain at the ready state as normal

Please respond to this post with the result of your troubleshooting. Good luck! 🙂

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

I had the same error "improper shutdown." I followed the instructions on this page, unplugging the power cord from the back of the printer while on, and now the printer will not start at all. What to do?

HP Recommended

Hello @rforgash,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!

I understand that your HP Officejet Pro 8620 e-All-in-One Printer is failing to power ON after performing a Power Reset. I would like to assist you today with resolving this issue. There may be a power cord failure, or a printer hardware failure occuring. Therefore, to isolate and resolve this issue I am going to have you perform some standard power troubleshooting steps.

Can I please have you click  here to access the troubleshooting steps. Once the support document opens please follow the steps under Solution one, Solution two, Solution three, Solution four, and Solution five. This includes any sub steps under the listed Solutions to complete. Should your printer still fail to power ON, a replacement power cable may be needed.

Please respond to this post with the result of your troubleshooting. I look forward to hearing from you. Best of luck! 🙂

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

We have an OfficeJet 7612 with the Improper Shutdown message.  I changed the plug locationmultiple times, and powered it off for at least 30 seconds (from the back of the printer).  

The printer still shows the message, sound like the rollers start up, and then shuts back off.  Whether the "OK" button is pressed or not.

If the button is pressed, the normal scan/fax/copy screen is schown but the printer still shuts down.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.