Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I don't have the luxury to waste my time here, I'm supposed to be writing an article for an academic journal, but here goes anyway; because I'm annoyed enough to actually give this the few mintutes I got left before another staff meeting.

A week ago, my printer (HP Photosmart C4480, almost a year old now) started giving me the message that my cartridge was incompatible. The cartridge was about a month or two old I think, and I've printed with it till it was at about ¾ of its original strength. I've followed all the steps that the trouble shooting offered me; resetting, cleaning, I even had my old cartridge still left to see whether that one worked and would fix the problem (it did work, the one that came with the printer, but it didn't fix the problem). Apart from changing the cartridge or getting a new printer, there doesn't seem to be any way to fix this.

But getting a new cartridge only prolongs the problem without actually solving it. By now it has become more than obvious to me that there is a general HP printer problem with the error message 'incompatible cartridge'. This forum alone shows plenty of unsolved examples for anyone who cares to search for them for a few seconds. The result is that people simply buy or request new cartridges, and then, either instantly or after a certain while, the error recurs.

Were this a somewhat more vital product, like say a car, it would have to be recalled. If you take a look at the amazon reviews, they have been steadily going downhill, becoming more and more negative, from about a few months ago. I don't know whether it's a software thing you guys changed or whether your hardware or cartridges are designed to fail. Perhaps you've send out a bad batch of cartridges, but that wouldn't explain why people's printers are recurrently failing with the same message.

I'm currently awaiting a reply from a support inquiry. As I can gleam from the other posts made regarding to this problem, you are unable to give a) an explanation for this debacle, b) a fix that doesn't involve buying new cartridges so as to replace a cartridge that used to be perfectly fine before fitting them into your cartridge-deathtraps. If there is anything that can be done which does not involve ignoring the problem, spending more money on more defect products, but actually goes some way to fix the problem, I would gladly hear it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
Ok laddie and gentlemen listen up hear is how you fix that annoying "incompatible ink cartridge" error message.
Step1: turn off your printer
Step2:turn on your printer
Step3:hold down power button and the "x" button- you will receive a message that prompts you to "enter special key combo"
Step4:press"blue->green->grey IN THAT ORDER!!
Step5:once message "support rhLxFN0810CR" are displayed press "blue" button once until information menu appears
Step6:press "ok" now using "blue" button again scroll through the menu until you see "checksum for repo I data input" appears
Step7:press ok and a number code will appear(note code will change every time this pice as is used)
Step8:once code appears push "x" 3times until you return to main display screen. Now you are ready to print as normal! 🙂 if print head is allowed to reset before next print this process will need to be repeated each time print head resets itself

View solution in original post

32 REPLIES 32
HP Recommended

Pfieuw, though this is a complaint and not a solution, it's the best thing I've read on this forum. I totally agree with you!

Since the first 'incompatible cartridge' error, I've bought several new original HP cartridges (because HP advised me to do so). It only worked once...but within a couple of days, the error showed up again!

Its a disgrace that HP still hasn't got a proper solution to fix this problem. Someone with the same printer (and the associated problem) told me there was only one solution: Buy another printer, as long as it isn't a HP printer. His experience with the HP customer service were horrible and the same accounts for me. 

HP Recommended

Hi Furevu,

It sounds like you've tried the usual troubleshooting (resetting the printer, cleaning the contacts and reseating the cartridge etc.). Also you've said the cartridge is 3/4 full and the printer works ok with your old cartridges. Is the cartridge still within warranty? (refer to Doc c00206040 )

You've mentioned you've made a support inquiry......can you please let know how this progresses as I am keen to help you resolve the issue.

Kind Regards, Ciara

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
HP Recommended

This is a known printer problem that HP have been aware of since 2008.

Why can't they admit liability & resolve the consumers problems. Otherwise they will alienate us & lose us as customers forever!

I have been getting the ruaround by HP customer service all week as they ask me to replace cartidges, clean contacts & reset printer. Despite having 2 nearly new genuine cartridges installed my 6 month old printer still informs me the black cartridge is incompatible!

Is anyone at HP listening or don't you care?

HP Recommended

@jasbeauch wrote:

This is a known printer problem that HP have been aware of since 2008.

Why can't they admit liability & resolve the consumers problems. Otherwise they will alienate us & lose us as customers forever!

I have been getting the ruaround by HP customer service all week as they ask me to replace cartidges, clean contacts & reset printer. Despite having 2 nearly new genuine cartridges installed my 6 month old printer still informs me the black cartridge is incompatible!

Is anyone at HP listening or don't you care?

Please be aware that this is a user to user forum, it is not an official communications channel to HP.  You can contact HP as shown here.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Unfortunatelly I cannot answer the problem, but I thought that maybe if HP gets a lot of complaints here, in their own website, they will do something about it!

My C4480 printer also started to display a cartridge incompatibility problem (although my cartridges are HP and brand new). Then, it suddenly started to print VERY SLOWLY. It now prints one line, then it stops for 10secs or more, then it prints another line, and it stops again... which means it takes about 5min to print an A4 page. This seems to be a software problem, something they have done to prevent people from using other cartridges than those manufactured by HP. However, their "smart mechanism" is detecting their own cartridges as "faulty components" - and this simply stops the printers from working properly. I've searched in the internet to see if other people had the same problem... and I found complaints in other support forums as well. Unfortunately, no replies to solve the problem. Guess the only solution is to buy another printer. It will surely not be an HP.

Regards

Eliseo

HP Recommended

@Eliseo wrote:

My C4480 printer also started to display a cartridge incompatibility problem (although my cartridges are HP and brand new). Then, it suddenly started to print VERY SLOWLY. It now prints one line, then it stops for 10secs or more, then it prints another line, and it stops again... [snip] 

This is caused by the failure of one of your cartridges.  Remove the black cartridge and print a test page.  Does the printer print at normal speed?  Is so the black cartridge was the issue and should be replaced.  If not then put the black cartridge back in and remove the color cartridge and print test page.  If the printer now prints normal speed the color cartridge was at fault and needs to be replaced.  See here for cartridge warranty information.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

HP Customer Care is absolutely useless !

I will never buy one of their products again, and I will make sure that all my friends, colleagues and family members are made aware of how HP treats its customers.

HP Recommended

Hi chrisfrom56

I'd like to help if I can. You had an issue with an Incompatible Cartridge error msg on a PS C4480, right? (post here )

Did you follow the recommended troubleshooting?, such as resetting the printer, cleaning the cartridge contacts etc. (as per this document )

If the troubleshooting did not work, try with a brand new cartridge. If this one works fine, then the first cartridge is at fault. You can contact phone support for a replacement (first check the warranty ends date here )

Please let me know how you get on...

Kind Regards, Ciara

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
HP Recommended

After a couple of days with the incompatible cartridge kiss of death, just as I was about to leave the house to buy a replacement printer (as I am three four months out of extended warranty), I utilized your suggestion, Rob, and a miracle happened.  I tried printing without the color cartridge in place - and it printed the test page.  Then I tried printing without the black and white cartridge in place - and it again printed the test page.  Finally, I tried printing the test page with bost cartridges back in place - and once again it printed.  I have no idea how long lasting this miracle will be, but it is good that I don't need to drive in this early April snow storm in Denver.  Thank you, Sir.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.