Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Photosmart 7525
Microsoft Windows XP

How can I unlock the Ink Cartridge Protection lock? Without intention to do so I must have activated the Protection preventing me from installing a non-HP ink cartridge that I have just now placed in the printer. Can't seem to be able to nulify the lock.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

If you have Cartridge Protection turned on, all ink cartridges installed will be protected... forever.   There is no way to reverse this action.  Only those cartridges will work in that specific printer. 

Turn off Cartridge protection so this does not occur.

HP Recommended

One additional consideration - turning off cartridge protection will only affect your printer marking cartridges as protected.  If the third party cartridge you have was originally inserted in a printer with cartridge protection enabled then that cartridge will not work in your printer - or any others that are not the original printer.  In this case I would suggest contacting your supplier for a non-protected replacement.  

Turning off cartridge protection will not affect the printer checking for protected cartridges, it only controls whether new cartridges installed in the printer are marked as protected.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Thank you very much. Finally something that makes sense! 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.