Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I just bought an HP OfficeJet 6500A Plus AiO, and I've noticed whenever I print duplex pages, the printer pauses for 15 seconds between the first and second sides of the page while displaying ‘Ink drying, please wait…’. This results in print speeds of around 2 pages per minute.  My Photosmart C6100 has no such delay, and as a result prints much faster.

I have noticed similar behavior on other OfficeJets.  Is this normal, and is there a way to disable it?  Why would an OfficeJet, which is targeted at office customers, have slower print speeds than a comparable Photosmart?

Steve

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Some of the printer models with duplexers have an automatic humidity sensor that adjusts the dry time, others do not.  You can adjust the dry time in the "advanced" tab on your driver.

officejet 6500 dry time.png

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Thanks, Bob.  Unfortunately my driver has no advanced tab.  Any other ideas?

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

HP Recommended

What operating system?

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Vista

HP Recommended

Bob,

Have you had a chance to look into this?  Would like to understand why my driver doesn't have an option to adjust dry time.

Thanks.

Steve

HP Recommended

Sorry about that, this slipped by.  I am downloading the Vista driver now and will see what I can see.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended

Interestingly, I just purchased a Photosmart Premium C410a, and its driver has the same dry time options as on your OfficeJet 6500 E709a.

What OS are you running?

Steve

HP Recommended

@stestardi wrote:

Interestingly, I just purchased a Photosmart Premium C410a, and its driver has the same dry time options as on your OfficeJet 6500 E709a.

What OS are you running?  [snip]

I am using Windows 7 x64.  I have a VMware Vista x64 machine that I downloaded the Vista full featured driver from here, it had similar features to the one you have.  Next I tried this one (Version 14.0) and it has the advanced tab and the settings you are looking for.  This is for the e709n rather than the e710n but I would bet the driver is compatible. (I currently do not have either a e709n or e710n to test, but I did load both drivers and used them to print to my e309a, they both worked fine.) You may need to fool the installer to allow installing the e709n driver if it does not find one connected.  You should be able to select "connect later" or some such, then go to the Printers directory, Add a Printer, select the same port as your e710n then select the Officejet e709n driver.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended

Thanks, Bob.

Any idea why the difference in driver functionality?  Unfortunately the E709 drivers do not have a feature to turn off the top/bottom margin increase when duplex printing which I also would like.

Finally, any idea why my PhotoSmart C6150 didn't have the ink drying pause while duplexing, but all new printers seem to have it (effectively cutting their duplexing speed by75%)?

Thanks.

Steve

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.