Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

The warning light is flashing and the message says "Ink Cartridge Problem.........Remove and check cartridge on right..............Refer to printer documentation ". I have removed the color and black cartridges and put them back and the light is still flashing. When I had them out, it seems like I could see some ink below where they  came from. The color cartridge is new, but the black is a few months old, but I have not seen a low ink warning. Should I buy a new black cartridge or is this another problem?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Give this a try:

With the power on, remove the cartridges. Take care not to spill ink where you set them down temporarily. Leave the access door open and remove the power cord from the printer, again while the power is still on. Wait at least 30 seconds, while waiting see if you can gently sop up some of the ink from the stalls with something like a swab. Then reconnect the power cord to the printer and turn it on. Install each cartridge one at a time, closing the cover between each one and waiting for recognition of each by the printer. 

It is possible that the black cartridge could have leaked until empty, so it may need replaced. It is also possible that the ink that leaked could be interfering with the electrical contacts which is why I suggested cleaning that area. Hope that helps.

007OHMSS

I was a support engineer for HP.

If the advice resolved the situation, please mark it as a solution. Thank you.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

Give this a try:

With the power on, remove the cartridges. Take care not to spill ink where you set them down temporarily. Leave the access door open and remove the power cord from the printer, again while the power is still on. Wait at least 30 seconds, while waiting see if you can gently sop up some of the ink from the stalls with something like a swab. Then reconnect the power cord to the printer and turn it on. Install each cartridge one at a time, closing the cover between each one and waiting for recognition of each by the printer. 

It is possible that the black cartridge could have leaked until empty, so it may need replaced. It is also possible that the ink that leaked could be interfering with the electrical contacts which is why I suggested cleaning that area. Hope that helps.

007OHMSS

I was a support engineer for HP.

If the advice resolved the situation, please mark it as a solution. Thank you.
HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply. This may have resolved the problem, but it was obvious that ink was coming from somewhere and it either was the new color one or the old black one. Two new cartridges would have cost over $50. I decided it would be smart to just buy a new printer. I found an HP Deskjet 3050A for $69 with a free $10 gift card from Walmart and with my Walmart associate discount, total cost was $52. It prints a little slower than my Photosmart, but I am very pleased with it. Hope your solution will help someone else with the same problem.

HP Recommended

Hi,
I had a similar problem. The colour cartridge was causing trouble. Ink levels for the colour cartridge alone were not detected and printing was possible only on 'ink back-up mode' with the black cartridge working just fine.

I read the solutions given on the HP solution centre software under the "print cartridge problem" topic. The cleaning instructions are similar as you have given above, with a slight difference of you mentioning to remove both cartridges at the same time and re-insert them one after the other. When I tried the solution given on the solution centre software, both cartridges were now detected however on giving a print job the same problem re-occurred. I re-did the whole routine..but no luck.

Then I tried your version..Surprisingly it worked! 🙂 

Does installing the cartridge one at a time, closing the cover in between the 2 cartridges really the Magical step or did my cartridge stop causing problem only after it was cleaned enough no. of times?? 🙂
Anyway, thank you very much for providing a solution that worked!

Printer: k209a deskjet ink advantage

HP Recommended
Tried this a couple of times, but it still doesn't work. When I tried to insert one at a time it just kept telling me to insert color cartridge. Same message now appears...remove and check color cartridge.
HP Recommended

Actually, I thought the problem was solved, but within a week it reappeared.

So went to the nearest HP service centre. They promptly replaced the cartridge. No issues since then.

HP Recommended

After reading your message I replaced the color cartridge with a used one that I had from another printer. So far, it's working! Thank you.

HP Recommended

I have tried all the recommendation posted and nothing works. Cartridges are new. Very frustrating printer.

HP Recommended

@eemangel, Here is a link that you can follow. 

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01091133

You may have to contact HP Support (1800-474-6836).

**Click the KUDOS star on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Please mark a reply "ACCEPTED AS SOLUTION" if it solved your problem, so others can find it.
HP Recommended

My printer is complaining about the color cartridge like others have seen here and mentioned.  I don't want to print right now, I want to scan, is there any way to use this thing as a scanner, I'll replace the cartridge later...this is ridiculous, it's not allowing me to use a completely different mode of operation that is not dependent on the ink cartridges, this software is kinda dumb....please help if you know...

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.