Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
LaserJet Pro 400 M401dne
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

We have a LaserJet Pro 400 M401dne, purchased in 3/2014, that is now throwing an error.

Error:

52 Scanner Error

I have turned it off then back on as directed by the message on the screen.  The error reoccurred.  Turned it off for a few minutes.  The error reoccurred.  Left it off for over 45 minutes.  It printed a few times then the error reoccurred.  It figures the machine would last through the warranty period and just far enough past the expiration date to be too late to purchase an extended warranty before it died.

When researching the error, every instance I came across online of someone suffering from this error, they had an MFP.  This printer is not an MFP.  It does not have a scanner, so I do not understand why I am getting a scanner error.

Is there any fix for this problem?  The printer is not terribly expensive but, for a small business, it is not cheap either.  Especially when it only lasts a year.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

You have a scanner.  It is the laser/scanner which writes the image to the drum.  It is located under the top cover in the center.  It is a black box and most times the issue is the scanner motor has become dusted up and does not turn to the correct speed.   Not sure if yours can be repaired but on older models I have repaired them by opening the laser/scanner assembly and removing the little circut board with the motor and chrome spinning shaft.  If you can remove the chrome piece from the motor you do so and then place a very tiny drop of synthetic oil down the shaft, install the chrome piece and spin a few time by hand and put everyting back together.  You can download the service manual by doing a google search.  Look for instructions for removing the laser/scanner.

HP Recommended

i replaced the lower sleeved roller for my  hp laserjet p2055dn which was badly worn out by paper jam on

the fuser. after replacing back the fuser, i got the `52 laser scanner error, turn off and then on` and  no paper movement

on the printer. is there any one with idea what could be wrong?

HP Recommended

THANKS FOR YOU DIRECTION

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.