Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Sorry to jump in like this 😞 but I have been following this with pretty much the exact same problems all along the way. But got her working following along thnk you so much. I am so glad HP cares enough to put people in these forums for people who HATE talking to the customer service you get on the phone.

~Bigbill

Edit: PS you got my boss off my back. I owe you a drink!

HP Recommended

Bill! Glad to hear you got it back up and running! I really appreciate the positive feedback. If you every have any other issues feel free to post them here.

Thanks

Sean

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

When I click WINDOWS UPDATE, it says: TRY LATER
😞

Am I supposed to select Default Printer Port? It asks. I assume the answer is: Default Printer Port.

When I Right-Click the LaserJet 1300 icon, I can't SELECT it as default printer. My options are:
create short - troubleshoot - properties

I'll keep trying the Windows Update way. Maybe I should re-boot again...

HP Recommended

IT'S A MIRACLE! Kudos to you!

I had to choose the printer port DOT4- *THAT* showed me the right printer 1300 NAME. When I couldn't SELECT that from the list, I clicked WINDOWS UPDATE- & *THAT* showed me a bunch of things that weren't right either.

So I had to bypass that- at some point I got a 'Do you want to use the driver that's already installed?' - I clicked 'YES'- (I like to live dangerously)- And IT WORKED!

Thank you, thank you! The website instructions here might be a little more clear if they explained about choosing the Port- & about how Windows Update doesn't always work.

Oh- One last thing- I Selected 'SHARE PRINTER'- & i notice the instructions say to NOT choose that option. Am I ok?

Thanks again!!

HP Recommended

snagfu wrote:

IT'S A MIRACLE! Kudos to you!

I had to choose the printer port DOT4- *THAT* showed me the right printer 1300 NAME. When I couldn't SELECT that from the list, I clicked WINDOWS UPDATE- & *THAT* showed me a bunch of things that weren't right either.

So I had to bypass that- at some point I got a 'Do you want to use the driver that's already installed?' - I clicked 'YES'- (I like to live dangerously)- And IT WORKED!

Thank you, thank you! The website instructions here might be a little more clear if they explained about choosing the Port- & about how Windows Update doesn't always work.

Oh- One last thing- I Selected 'SHARE PRINTER'- & i notice the instructions say to NOT choose that option. Am I ok?

Thanks again!!

No problem! Glad we could get it working :robotvery-happy: You shouldnt have any problems with selecting "share printer." If you wouldnt mind could you please mark the post that solved the issue for you? This way other users can find the solution easier. Also if you have any other issues feel free to post them.

Regards!

Sean

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Before I close this issue, I wanted to say, I've dealt with MANY customer service situations other places- and my experience here has been a pleasure. More often than not, emails aren't returned, problems are marked "Solved" before they actually are. (Companies also sometimes treat customers who own their older products poorly- since they want people to buy NEW equipment.)

Heartfelt thanks to you for hanging in there until this was resolved.

- A satisfied HP Customer.

HP Recommended

Snagfu, I greatly appreciate your kind hearted remarks. Im glad to know we got your issue resolved. If you have any other issue or questions do not hesitate to post them here on the forum, that is what I am here for :robotvery-happy:

Have a great evening and weekend!

-Sean

HP Recommended

Your help says that this is installation instructions for hp 1300 however everything in it refers to hp color printers.

HP 1300 is NOT a color printer

I know they really don't care but I will never ever purchase anything with the name of HP

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.