Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Office jet 5740
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)
I have just purchased an office jet 5740 and was told that it has an automatic duplex ADF. I want to copy a 20 page double sided document and I want it to come out as a 20 page double sided document (2:2). I cannot work out how to do this? My existing copying options are :- 2 sided and 1:2. HP are telling me that this printer DOES do automatic duplexing but how?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

The printer offer Automatic Duplex Printing, it does not provide automatic ADF duplexing capabilities (copying a two-sided original).

You may find the printer speicifcations below:

http://store.hp.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/us/en/hp-officejet-5740-e-all-in-one-printer?jumpid=oc...

You may copy multiple pages, the output will be printed of both sides of the paper.

That can be done by selecting 1-Sided Original : 2-Sided Copy

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hi,

The printer offer Automatic Duplex Printing, it does not provide automatic ADF duplexing capabilities (copying a two-sided original).

You may find the printer speicifcations below:

http://store.hp.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/us/en/hp-officejet-5740-e-all-in-one-printer?jumpid=oc...

You may copy multiple pages, the output will be printed of both sides of the paper.

That can be done by selecting 1-Sided Original : 2-Sided Copy

HP Recommended

Thank you for this information. HP are INSISTING that it DOES do automatic duplex copying but they cannot be right? They are suggesting that they replace the printer with another of the same model but I do not see the point of this if it does not do automatic double sided copying.

They have offered to let me change the printer and have suggested either the Envy 7640 or the Officejet Pro 8620. I am inclinded to choose the Envy as it has two paper trays BUT will it do the 2 sided automatic duplex copying I need?

Can you help on this? If not, can you suggest a similar priced printer that does all that the Officejet 5740 does plus the automatic 2 sided copying and lab quality photos and that has 2 paper trays and a good print speed?

Many thanks for your values assistance.

Alan

HP Recommended

Hi Alan,

I am not sure with the reason, this information is clearly wrong.

Both the HP Officejet 5740 and Envy 7640 does not offet automatic duplexing, but only two sided printing, the HP Officejet Pro 8620 is the only model from this list whihc offer such functuionality.

As a reference you may find the printer specifications below:

HP ENVY 7640 e-All-in-One Printer:

Scanning options (ADF): Single-sided
http://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=E4W47A&opt=BHC&sel=PRN

HP Officejet 5740 e-All-in-One Printer:

Scanning options (ADF): Single-sided
http://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=B9S79A&opt=BHC&sel=PRN

HP Officejet Pro 8620 e-All-in-One Printer:

Automatic two-sided printing, plus two-sided scanning copying and faxing

Scanning options (ADF): Two-sided
http://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=A7F65A&opt=A80&sel=PRN

The HP Officejet Pro 8630 additionally offer a second paper tray (also optionally available for the 8620 seperately) but does not offer lab quality photos printing, it is more for daily office printing usage.

Both the 8620 and 8630 offer 2 sided ADF but may need to compromise the photo printing quality comparing the other mentioned models which are designed for a such. (it does provide a good quality, however not the same as a printer which is meant to provide a such

I afraid you will not find any current printer which meet all the required features.

Regards,

Shlomi

HP Recommended

I discovered that when i connected the ethernet cable to the modem it works.  The tradeoff is that you can no longer use wi-fi to print??

HP Recommended

I just discovered by unplugging the ethernet cable it reset my wi-fi to the printer BUT also reset the duplexprinting!!  Who knew!!

HP Recommended

I was sold this product with the under standing it did double sided copying and scanning...

Your video shows when selecting 2 sided copying when you selected 1:2 you had options to select 2:2...

Oh no you don't...

I bought this for auto double side copy and scan....

Bloody conned and not impressed....

HP Recommended

No, this machine will not do an ADF copy of double sided documents.  You can use the ADF feed to do a double sided scan of a two sided document.  You will need to turn the documents so the foot is at the head in the ADF and do not turn the documents over.  Just turn them around 180 degrees from the side that is facing up.  You can then print out a out a 2 sided document.  The pages end up in the correct numerical order.  It is a little round about, but it can be done.

HP Recommended

I tried this and had no success. The only way I can do double sided printing is as follows:

1. select -  2 sided

-  1:2 setting

2. lay document on scanner table

3. press black or color preference to start printing

4. wait for message to flip page on scanner

5. press continue and wait for document to finish printing

AMEN

HP Recommended

THANK YOU FOR YOUR REPLY.  OMG  I CALLED HP AND THEY WERE PREPARIGN TO SEND ME ANOTHER PRINTER.  WOW!    THANKS AGAIN

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.