Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have an Officejet 4315--have received the flashing ! light (orange) and the message "Cartridge error-refer to device documentation". Am using brand new HP cartridges 21 and 22. Have taken them out, inspected, cleaned etc.

Cannot print test/alignment page.

Uninstalled printer software and reinstalled. No luck. Flashing ! just came back after unplugging and uninstall/reinstall.

How do I solve this error message?

Thanks

Cathy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
Remove the black cartridge and keep only the color cartridge in, and check the message. Now remove teh color cartridge and insert only the black cartridge in, and check the message. This should give an idea about which cartridge has a problem.
I am an ex-HP Employee. Currently inactive on the forum.

View solution in original post

41 REPLIES 41
HP Recommended
Remove the black cartridge and keep only the color cartridge in, and check the message. Now remove teh color cartridge and insert only the black cartridge in, and check the message. This should give an idea about which cartridge has a problem.
HP Recommended

Cathy, Could you resolve the issue of the error? I have a similar problem with 4315 " Print Cartridge Error: Refer to device documentation to troubleshoot".

Any suggestions. Thanks

Message Edited by kaka3299 on 07-27-2009 07:01 PM
HP Recommended
No I have not yet resolved the issue. The suggestion above did not work. If I remove one cartridge and close the door, I get another error message telling me that a cartridge is missing. So I am not able to troubleshoot which cartridge, color or black and white is the offender. Am open to other suggestions. I don't really know what else to try. 
HP Recommended
Dexter do you have any other suggestions? If I remove one cartridge I get a new error message advising me that the left or right cartridge is missing. The printer evidently will not operate without both cartridges in place.
HP Recommended
I am going to do some research today and if I find anything, I will post it here...so keep checking this. My light and error came while I was printing and the page had printed half. I have mostly used refilled cartridges ever since I purchased this printer 2 years back. I will also try to chat with HP tech support. Anyway, I will post something today. Good Luck with your research too.
HP Recommended
Actually I went back and tried again to remove the cartridges one at a time. If I remove the color cartridge it says "The left cartridge is missing." If I remove the black and white cartridge the error message "Cartridge error-refer to device documentation" reappears, so I guess the problem is the B&W cartridge. However, the problem started with the previous B&W cartridge and continues with a new one. Both are brand new (not refilled) cartridges. 
HP Recommended
The problem actually is with the tri-color cartridge. Try cleaning the electrical contacts on teh color cartridge as well as the contacts on the color cartridge slot, and then reinsert the tricolor cartridge and see if you get the same message. If you do, then install another color cartridge(used or new) and see if the printer accepts it. If it does, then the cartridge is defective. If the printer rejects that also(by saying that the cartridge has a problem, and not that it is out of ink) then the printer has a problem. In any case, I suggest you call HP Tech Support as they'll do the necessary troubleshooting and replace the defective part IF the printer or the cartridges is still under warranty.
HP Recommended

Cathy, I have had the light go off by resetting the printer. Switch off the printer by pressing ON button. Wait for 30 Sec. Now pull out the power cord and printer to PC cable. Wait for 20 sec. Now reconnect the power cable and printer cable. Switch ON the printer by ON button. Say your prayers. Light should have gone off. Try it. Good luck.

Meanwhile I also called HP...they siad it is a  Hardware problem. They said the printer is old one and they could replace it with new HP J6480...flatbed multifunction for $110. This printer is available on Amazon for $109. For your info.

Message Edited by kaka3299 on 07-28-2009 11:27 AM
HP Recommended

Gosh, that is really a distressing answer "the printer is old". Uh, I bought mine in 12/07, less than 2 yrs ago. So now I'm to send it to the landfill and buy a new one. Ah, the American way! Throw it out and get a new one. If you are interested in more info on this way of "life" go to www.storyofstuff.com and watch the video. I guess HP's answer is not surprising.

The sequence suggested for cleaning the color cartridge hasn't helped either.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.