Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

How do I open the several .ALBM files I created with Photosmart Essentials v3.5 now that it's been replaced?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello kurtsimon,

I understand you would like to open up the .albm file photos you had saved when using HP Photosmart Essential v3.5. After some extensive research I have found some possible workarounds for you. Please take a look below:

1st Recommendation found by Community Member @Strobtech

1) Rename the file extension from .albm to .zip (as indicated in an earlier post). 

2) Download/install 7zip from http://7-zip.org/  This is open source software, but packs more punch for extracting than what is built into Windows 7. 

3) Open 7zip and extract the file you just renamed with the  .zip file extension.  Extract all, paying attention to the location of the folder where you are extracting the files so you can browse to it in the next step.

4) Browse to the folder to which you extracted your files in step 3, and you should see a subfolder named "ImagesStore" and a subfolder named "PagesStore".  You are interested in the "ImagesStore" folder.

5) Click the "ImagesStore" folder and you will see many folders named "ImageStore 1", "ImageStore 2", "ImageStore 3", and so on. 

6) Click the "ImageStore 1" folder, and you should see several files, one of which is named something like "BitsStream".  Rename this file "001.jpg".  Now Click the "ImageStore 2" folder, and rename the "BitsStream" file located there "002.jpg".  Continue on in similar fashion through all of your "ImageStore X" folders and you'll now have jpg files that you can view, copy, and paste. 

7)  If you'd like to make things a bit easier once you've renamed all your files, you can Search for all *.jpg files and then copy and paste them all to a new location so you can finally have a folder of all those pictures you now have access to.

2nd Recommendation by Community Member @matchbox20gal

1. Go to the Konverter freeware website, select the Windows File Manager to display, organize, convert all sort of files Free 15-Day Konverter Trail Edition

2. Once installed on the Left hand side you will browse through the .albm folder, clicking on it brings up the folder in a preview window

3. Right click on the folder to extract the files

4. It automatically converts them to .jpeg format (in the same folder where the original .albm folder was)

The reason I gave you the Konverter option second, is some customers said it worked and some were not able to get the free trail. It is up to you which way you want to go, please let me know if this was helpful.

Thank you,

HevnLgh
I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hello kurtsimon,

I understand you would like to open up the .albm file photos you had saved when using HP Photosmart Essential v3.5. After some extensive research I have found some possible workarounds for you. Please take a look below:

1st Recommendation found by Community Member @Strobtech

1) Rename the file extension from .albm to .zip (as indicated in an earlier post). 

2) Download/install 7zip from http://7-zip.org/  This is open source software, but packs more punch for extracting than what is built into Windows 7. 

3) Open 7zip and extract the file you just renamed with the  .zip file extension.  Extract all, paying attention to the location of the folder where you are extracting the files so you can browse to it in the next step.

4) Browse to the folder to which you extracted your files in step 3, and you should see a subfolder named "ImagesStore" and a subfolder named "PagesStore".  You are interested in the "ImagesStore" folder.

5) Click the "ImagesStore" folder and you will see many folders named "ImageStore 1", "ImageStore 2", "ImageStore 3", and so on. 

6) Click the "ImageStore 1" folder, and you should see several files, one of which is named something like "BitsStream".  Rename this file "001.jpg".  Now Click the "ImageStore 2" folder, and rename the "BitsStream" file located there "002.jpg".  Continue on in similar fashion through all of your "ImageStore X" folders and you'll now have jpg files that you can view, copy, and paste. 

7)  If you'd like to make things a bit easier once you've renamed all your files, you can Search for all *.jpg files and then copy and paste them all to a new location so you can finally have a folder of all those pictures you now have access to.

2nd Recommendation by Community Member @matchbox20gal

1. Go to the Konverter freeware website, select the Windows File Manager to display, organize, convert all sort of files Free 15-Day Konverter Trail Edition

2. Once installed on the Left hand side you will browse through the .albm folder, clicking on it brings up the folder in a preview window

3. Right click on the folder to extract the files

4. It automatically converts them to .jpeg format (in the same folder where the original .albm folder was)

The reason I gave you the Konverter option second, is some customers said it worked and some were not able to get the free trail. It is up to you which way you want to go, please let me know if this was helpful.

Thank you,

HevnLgh
I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.