Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello Teri Lynn!  I would like to report the same problem - my black ink will not print if I print a test page or anything else directly from my PC; however, the black in will print when I print a test page directly from the printer itself.  I have spent 5 hours trying to fix this; uninstalling and reinstalling software and drivers, along with going throught all the steps in the troubleshooing guide regarding the cartridges, etc.  - however, it's obvious that if there was a problem with the actual cartridge or the printheads or anything realated to that, the black ink would not show up when printing a test page directly from the printer.  I believe it is a software issue, and the HP doc indicates the same; however, there is nothing updated on the HP website for an updated version of the software or drivers.  I would like a private response as well to find out what HP is planning to do to fix this.  I am in the United States and my printer is still under warranty.  Perhaps it is a driver issue that is no longer compatible with recent windows software updates, as it seems this has reared it's ugly head as of late, and I have had some windows updates installed very recently.  I look forward to hearing from you. 

HP Recommended

Hi MissTeriLyn,

I wish I new of this problem 2 weeks ago before spending $80 on new ink.  Like all the other that have witten I've had my printer just over a year ago and when I replaced my cartridges the black ink stopped working.  I've done all the diagnostic tests and the black ink box comes up with nothing.  This is very frustrating after spending that much on ink when I could have spent it on a new printer since they obviously only last a year.  Better yet I wish I would have just not bought an HP printer.  It was first HP purchase and it will definately be my last.

HP Recommended

This is an acknowledged issue by HP.  I would like a contact from a supervisor.

HP Recommended

Hello and good luck trying to get anywhere with HP support -- I called them twice - first time they said it was because I was running free anit-virus software (seriously??) and then second call I was told in order for them to do anything, I would need to pay a fee ($149 or something close to that) and that it is really a problem with my computer or my windows software.   (seriously??)  Both technicians were extremely rude, condescening, and interrupted me all throughout the conversation, and essentially implied that the problem I was having was because of something I did, and not because it is a problem with the printer or printer software (even though there are countless complaints in this blog about this very problem being experienced by many users).   I've had it, officially.

HP Recommended

Hello everyone Smiley Happy

I will do my best to address everyone and hopefully get all of the issues at hand, resolved!

@jle030453 - I am going to send you a private message to address your request for a supervisor.

@Marytk - Welcome to the HP Forums! I'm so sorry to hear that your experience with HP went from bad to worse, but if it's okay with you, I'd like to help out! I will also send you a private message to discuss your situation and see how I can help you best!

@kr1111 - Welcome to the HP Forums Smiley Happy Am I safe to assume that you have a Photosmart 5520 as well and that you've tried all of the steps within this Printer Prints a Blank Page or Does Not Print Black or Color Ink document? If my assumptions are correct, can you please let me know what country you live in? With that hopefully we can get this resolved for you!

I'd like to thank all three of you for your patience (and anyone else who joins) as I understand how frustrating it is to need something that just isn't working properly. I will always do my best to help anyone Smiley Happy

If anyone is unsure how to check their private messages, this post, has instructions.

mostache.JPG- In support of Movember

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to thank me for responding! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post resolved your issue, as it will help others find the solution faster!

**MissTeriLynn**
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended
Hello Miss TerriLynn,

I did not receive a private msg. Yes it's the 5520 and I've done all the steps repeatedly. I'm in the US
HP Recommended

Hello TeriLnn - in response to your private message, I live in the United States - that was in my original post as well.  

Thank you,

marytk

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply kr1111 and Marytk!

@Marytk- I have responded to you via private message, please reply there 🙂

@kr1111- I hadn't intended to send you a private message with that post. I needed you to answer the other information first, which you now have 🙂 I will now be sending you a private message.

mostache.JPG

In support of Movember

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to thank me for responding! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post resolved your issue, as it will help others find the solution faster!

**MissTeriLynn**
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

The problem is with the print cartridge not seating onto the base properly.   Thus the contact pressure needed on the ink pad is not sufficient to cause the ink to flow into the print head.  This is a cartrige manufacturing problem that HP will not admit too.   A work around that I use is to take a very small bit of cotton  (about 2 millimeter) and place it in the print cartridge ink pad ( The round whole under where you remove the orange plastic break away seal).  Then insert the cartride and wait a while to let gravity allow the ink to flow down into the print head.

HP Recommended

I too have a Photosmart 5520 and have tried all of the steps within this Printer Prints a Blank Page or Does Not Print Black or Color Ink  for getting the black ink to print. I originally posted for the HP support tech who has answered in this forum to send me a private message as well, but then I called the HP support line. My printer is 152 days out of warranty but they have (pretty easily) agreed to send me a working refurbished printer at no cost and I will send them back my broken one.

I had to do about 15 minutes of repeat troubleshooting with a tech on the phone then was transferred to a supervisor -- this seems to be a known issue with this model (there may be some legalities that they are dealing with regarding this issue). I don't care if it's refurbished as long as it works and costs me nothing. They gave me tracking numbers for the replacement and said that there will be a follow-up call to making sure the "new" printer is working.

Fingers crossed that this will all turn out, but so far, the anger the feelings toward HP that I had in the beginning of the evening have changed. I am feeling very good about HP right now. (My advice is to call hp support in the US evening [I called at 9pm CST] when they outsource their tech support to other countries -- I'm a techie and that support is always quicker and friendlier, in my own experience).

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.