Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Is the printer connected wirelessly or via USB to your computer?
Regards / Jim B / Wireless Enthusiasts
( While I'm an embedded wireless systems engineer at work, on this forum I do not represent my former employer, Hewlett-Packard, or my current employer, Microsoft )
+ Click the White Kudos star on the left as a way to say "thank you" for helpful posts.
HP Recommended

Wireless and USB bth have problems.

I received in the mean time a procedure for partial reset and for semi full reset.

The printer now behaves OK. But I'm still in the first hour after reset, so no idle situation yet.

HP Recommended

I'm trying to install the firmware update to fix the unresponsiveness problem - however trying this update on two seperate PC''s - using both Wireless and USB connections - the update says it can't find the printer! (That's even when I'm able to print to it via the USB connection).

In other words, the PC knows the printer is there - but the firmware update can't find it.

I've downloaded the update onto two PC's - one running Vista the other XP. Exactly the same result.

Any ideas?

HP Recommended

Hi,

I seem to have the same problem on a PC (Lenovo T60). I can print, ping the printer, etc. over Wifi. However, when I try to run any of the upgrade applications for the C4580, they claim they cannot find the printer.I've tried with the USB cable plugged in too.

However, in the Symantec/Norton security log I've found plenty of "Default Block  EPMAP", so I wonder whether this is what is causing the problem. I've tried to disable the firewall, and that doesn't remedy the situation immediately, possibly because the printer has already "given up"?

Message Edited by Soerlige on 11-29-2009 01:08 PM
HP Recommended
Try the instructions in this link on configuring Norton/Symantec to allow our printer SW access to your local network.
( While I'm an embedded wireless systems engineer at work, on this forum I do not represent my former employer, Hewlett-Packard, or my current employer, Microsoft )
+ Click the White Kudos star on the left as a way to say "thank you" for helpful posts.
HP Recommended

Thank you again, Jim B.

Just one point of clarification - is the USB cable supposed to be plugged in when I run those programs, or will it work over Wifi?

(Some of the help pages say "make sure cable is plugged in", but that may be for a cable-printer.)

Thanks again!

HP Recommended
As long as you are able to access the printer's internal web page from your browser, unplug the USB cable while you configure your SW firewall.
HP Recommended

I have a slightly different problem than most I think.  My C4500 is right next to my wireless router and signal strength is great.  The problem is that I also have a repeater at the other end of a very large house, and my printer somehow (and occasionally) connects to the very weak signal of the repeater instead of the router right next to it.  The result is very sporadic printing with lots of errors.  My work around (once I discover I'm having problems printing) is to turn the printer off and then on, which almost always causes it to connect to the router again.  That's a real pain in the butt workaround!

Is there anyway for me to "cripple" the antenna on the C4500 so that it can't pick up the repeater's signal, but can still connect to the router less than 2 feet away?

Thanks!

HP Recommended

Interesting problem.  It appears you just need to add a bit of interference to the signal path between the printer and the repeater.

Where is the repeater's location in reference to the printer?  Is it behind, to side or in front of the printer?  If possible, tape aluminum foil to the sides of the printer that faces the repeater.

I'll contact the ME's to find out where the radio is placed in the C4580.  Ideally, I'd like you to tape foil on the printer face behind which the radio is located.

HP Recommended

The repeater's location is in front of the printer, but separated by a couple of walls.  Sounds like you're saying I need to put aluminum foil on the front of the printer.  I assume that means on either or both sides of the paper tray?   Thanks!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.