Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I was so hopeful when I found your suggestions.  Have tried them all with the exception of removing the wireless router. .  Didn't work for me.  However, my family takes comfort in knowing they probably were not responsible.  LOL 

Very frustrating to have this happen.  Anyone else find something that works.  Loved this printer.  Hate to start looking for something new, but have to have something.  SASP  

I too, have a full supply of ink cartridges.  Suggestions anyone?

HP Recommended

Everyone seems to have different problems so you will need to put the details on the table and not make connections that are not there. The first poster probably has a defective printer due to the surge he experienced, he describes himself probability of logic board or power transformer and he is right.

If you were hit by lightning or power surge and the reset suggested earlier in the thread doesn't work, you will probably want need to replace your printer or see if you insurance or surge protector warranty covers the damaged product.

If you were not hit by lightning or power surge then your issue is not related to the original post. 

The printer itself,standalone, going on/off or getting locked up etc doesn't happen very often and is usually a hardware/power issue. Wireless going "on/off" or dropping connection or communication erros are very common and can be sorted out. Please describe your exact scenario, problem, connection type, mac osx version, what software installed, what router etc etc and someone can probably sort out your issue. If it is urgent, I'd suggest contacting HP tech support for direct assistance.

Cheers

HP Recommended

Hello,

I am wondering if your solution will work for my problem... A week or so ago, I had a small paper jam -- no problem, I removed one sheet, and it worked. However, ever since then, the printing is very slow. The printer used to print a page in a second or two, now it takes 30-40+ seconds. I tried a one-word email to test it and it still takes that long. 

I was told by a "Mac techie" guy I know, that the jam should have no relationship to slow printing, but I don't know if he's accurate.

I have shut down, unplugged, and restarted, etc., but I have not done what you suggest below. If I try it, I would not want to create other problems that I don't have now. What is your opinion?

Thank you.

HP Recommended

plmichos: Try making a copy first, if the copy is slow then it could be the media/or mechanical. If it makes a copy reasonably fast, the print settings could be the issue.

Try the printer plugged direct to a wall outlet and feel free to do the factory reset then observe performance again.

HP Recommended

Hi again, sorry to bother you. I have tried shutting down, plugging into the wall outlet, the reset, making a copy (which also prints slowly), and the printer's self test diagnostic. It won't self test -- it starts it, but then says "wrong paper type or size", which isn't true. It tries to calibrate but I keep getting error message.

I think it has to do with the paper feeders or rollers, but I can't be sure,. The paper jam I mentioned a while back was not a big deal but it must have screwed up something internally that I can't see.

Is there any way to safely take it apart -- just a little -- to get a better look inside?

HP Recommended
Cause:
When low-power problems exist, the product might turn off repeatedly. Low power is a common problem in many home offices because of the number of electronic devices concentrated in one area.
HP Recommended

Hi.

Thanks for your message.

Well it actually doesn't turn off by itself.

Interestingly, the problem has seemed to self-correct. Most things now print at normal speed, occasionally some things print slowly. But for the most part it is much improved.  Ghosts in the machine?

HP Recommended

Hi all,

I've got a C6180 wireless to Mac OS 10.5; has worked fine since owned. Unplugged to move to new location and won't power up!  Originally, the power supply green LED was not illuminating, so I bought (the appropriate) replacement power supply brick from HP.  The strange thing is with the new power brick, the power cord green LED does light up when the unit is plugged in, but once I plug the power supply into the back of the printer, the green light goes off ( and I still can't get the unit to power up.)  Frustrating because I too just loaded up on a very large supply of ink!

I've tried all of the known troubleshooting options:

- Different outlets

- Reset trick holding the # and 6 keys

- etc.

Any ideas, or am I destined to bite the bullet and finally end the "off-again", "off-again" long term relationship with HP (and switch to Epson!)

Thanks!

HP Recommended

I've tried the # and 6 button trick too.  The power keeps cycling through on and off.  Its really sad.  Anyone else with ideas?

HP Recommended

just got the c6180 today... used of course, and I'm having problems with it starting up and then shutting down. I have tried the holding of the # and 6 keys and did not  work. am i missing something because i followed the reset steps to the letter. i need help to get this to work please and thank you.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.