Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have had my printer for 14 mths and am not eligible for HP help.  It had been printing fine on the wireless from my ATT uverse modem.  Suddenly it won't print and says printer offline or printer disconnected.  When I do the diagnostics it says the wireless radio is not on.  The blue light for wireless on the control panel is on.  My wireless network is otherwise working fine and computers are otherwise fine.  Can this problem be corrected?

Martin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
I'm sorry but your wireless radio has died. You can plug it into your router with an Ethernet cable and get the same functionality as wireless or use it on USB. Otherwise, its time for a new printer.
I am employed by HP

Say thanks by clicking "Kudos" "thumbs up" in the post that helped you.

View solution in original post

68 REPLIES 68
HP Recommended

Let's run a self test.  At the printer control panel, go to Setup > Network > Wireless Network Test.

What does it say about the printer's radio?  Does it have a valid IP address from your router?

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

It says "The wireless radio is not functioning.  Contact HP Support."  Under configuration summary IP address "Not applicable".  I don't see any IP address on the wireless network test report or HP network configuration page.

HP Recommended
I'm sorry but your wireless radio has died. You can plug it into your router with an Ethernet cable and get the same functionality as wireless or use it on USB. Otherwise, its time for a new printer.
I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

I have the same problem....the network radio has stopped functioning. The printer is barely over a year old...how can it be time for a new printer already? A have other HP printers that are 5+ yrs old and still functioning perfectly.

HP Recommended

Mental note to self: HP printers are only good for 14 months. In other words, you are buying a disposable printer. It's unfortunate that everything is being made so cheaply. I had an HP G-85 that lasted for 6 years.....not any longer. Sorry to hear about your problem. It might be cheaper to buy a wireless print server for your printer, but barely cheaper for a good one.

( I don't work for HP, I am speaking for myself and not for HP) CYA HP
HP Recommended

Hi - I also have a wireless connection problem with my c309a.  It has been working OK, but stopped today.  I've run the wireless test and troubleshooting, but still unable to print.  My PC says the printer is 'off line'.  Can you suggest anything?  Thanks

HP Recommended

Read post #2 above.

I am employed by HP

HP Recommended

you don't need a new printer, just a new wifi card, HP part # 1150-7931.  This is a 10 minute DIY job (I just replaced the card in mine).  Very easy.  You lift the top like you were replacing ink cartridges.  On the top left corner (near the LCD), there is a screw to remove.  On the back of the printer, there is a 2d screw near where the phone line plugs in.  remove it.  Now you can pop off the left side of the printer.  Looking that the printer's left side, with the cover removed, there is a small wifi card (top right).  Remove the 1 screw securing it and pull down, unplugging it from the printer's main circuit card.  Then reverse.  Push in the new wifi card.  Replace screw.  Snap side cover back on.  Replace the 2 screws that secure the side cover.  You are done.

The only hard part is finding the wifi card, since HP doesn't even sell it (even though these cards fail by the droves).  I did a search on ebay by part number and got one for $23, including shipping. 

Sad that you are told to go buy a new printer when for a small $ in parts and a very simple DIY repair you can be  back to wireless printing.  Shame on HP for not making this wifi part widely available and telling people how to make an out of warranty repair for a product that is prone to failure in the first place.  This is what the card looks like:  It is about 2 inches by 3 inches.  HP wifi card.jpg

HP Recommended

Wireless radio is not functioning. I have a Photosmart C309a series configured with a mini mac.

It repeatedly is giving me a message offline and printer pause. I tried all the solutions suggested on your trouble shooting web site. One comment noted as a response to other inquiries at the same web site was that the radio is dead and the printer is dead. What can I try or do I really need a new printer?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.